Do you rinse your life rock before adding?

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting up a new tank and I’m wondering if it’s common to rinse your life rock before adding it to the tank or should I just drop it in right away?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting up a new tank and I’m wondering if it’s common to rinse your life rock before adding it to the tank or should I just drop it in right away?
Life rock or LIVE rock? Life rock is generally the painted rock isn't it? Either way any dry rock should be at least rinsed first. Any WET LIVE rock can be either directly added or if extreme, quarantined to observe for pests prior to adding.

OP
OP
S

swoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life rock or LIVE rock? Life rock is generally the painted rock isn't it? Either way any dry rock should be at least rinsed first. Any WET LIVE rock can be either directly added or if extreme, quarantined to observe for pests prior to adding.
It’s the dry rock called life rock by caribsea

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's a good idea to rinse any dry hardscape, to dislodge any dust or whatnot. I forgot to do this with a piece of dry rock recently, and got a sandstorm/duststorm.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same rock. You are best to rinse it to make sure you get any dust and debris removed from it. When I bought my pieces it was in an open box so they had picked up dust, etc. All dry rock should be rinsed because most of it is mined from dry land so could have other debris on it besides what it gathers in the store.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back