Do You Run Carbon All the Time or Only Occasionally?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,643
Reaction score
67,824
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_4657_zpsgzawgjgt.jpg

DIY Carbon Reactor by @Mass Reef

Carbon is one of the most common filtration tools in reefing, but reefers use it very differently. Some run it 24/7, others only during specific events like chemical warfare, water clarity issues, or after dosing medications.

So let’s compare notes! Do you run carbon all the time, or only occasionally?
• What brand or type do you prefer?
• How do you run it—reactor, bag in the sump, other?
• Have you noticed a big difference in water clarity, coral health, or other results?

Also… have you ever stopped using carbon entirely? Why?

Let’s talk about how carbon fits into your reefing routine and whether it’s something you swear by or just use when needed.

Oh, and be sure to check out this awesome DIY media reactor by @Mass Reef here: Easy Carbon/GFO Reactor
 
I run carbon 24/7 in a bag in my sump. I've been doing this since the day I set up my tank, and it's been up for nearly eight months now. While I haven't found a preferred brand yet, I do prefer pellets over chips. Even in a very fine mesh bag, the chips create a significant mess.

I don't have a thoroughly tested reason, as I'm still new to this hobby, but I always use carbon in my freshwater tanks as well. In my experience, it makes the water clearer and cleaner.

This is a great topic, and I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say.
 
I was running it for a long time, but eventually had to quit using it due to dinos.
 
All the time, but not in a reactor.

I think a reactor would be too "intense" and might cause a bit of Carbon dust which might trigger things like HLLE.

Also only the pellets and not the "natural chips" as they are essentially dustless and will be less likely to trigger HLLE.

I essentially just have the runoff water from my rollermat pass through some bags of carbon. minimal and low flow contact with some bags that I replace maybe every month.

I think it is essential for any mixed reefs that have a lot of variety of corals
 
IMG_4657_zpsgzawgjgt.jpg

DIY Carbon Reactor by @Mass Reef

Carbon is one of the most common filtration tools in reefing, but reefers use it very differently. Some run it 24/7, others only during specific events like chemical warfare, water clarity issues, or after dosing medications.

So let’s compare notes! Do you run carbon all the time, or only occasionally?
• What brand or type do you prefer?
• How do you run it—reactor, bag in the sump, other?
• Have you noticed a big difference in water clarity, coral health, or other results?

Also… have you ever stopped using carbon entirely? Why?

Let’s talk about how carbon fits into your reefing routine and whether it’s something you swear by or just use when needed.

Oh, and be sure to check out this awesome DIY media reactor by @Mass Reef here: Easy Carbon/GFO Reactor
For years , have been running it full time but in the form of chemipure blue
 
I run it 24/7 in a reactor and change it out once a month. no preference on brand, whatever is on sale.
 
Tiny mesh craft bag of carbon. About 3 tablespoons. Once a week. Sitting in my sock. ....change sock. Change carbon. Weeeeeee!
 
I run it 24/7 in a filter bag in my middle AIO chamber. I just feel things look and do better when I run it.
 
I never use it anymore. I used to, and my tangs would get HLLE. When I didn't run it, they were fine. I only have one tang in my 230 gallon, a Naso Tang, and I'm kind of partial to him. Hes a cool fish. So I have socks (soon to be a roller mat), fuge, skimmer, rodi water and Purigen. Everyone seems to be happy and healthy so I'm not changing it. I like carbon for it's water polishing capabilities but running carbon and eventually getting HLLE has happened too often to be a coincidence IMO.
 
I run a small amount to catch any ozone remaining in the effluent from my ozone reactor but otherwise don’t run it. If I ever felt I had a toxin in the tank or something like that id start a dedicated carbon reactor for a while. I like the rox stuff just because it’s a lot cleaner.
 
IMG_4657_zpsgzawgjgt.jpg

DIY Carbon Reactor by @Mass Reef

Carbon is one of the most common filtration tools in reefing, but reefers use it very differently. Some run it 24/7, others only during specific events like chemical warfare, water clarity issues, or after dosing medications.

So let’s compare notes! Do you run carbon all the time, or only occasionally?
• What brand or type do you prefer?
• How do you run it—reactor, bag in the sump, other?
• Have you noticed a big difference in water clarity, coral health, or other results?

Also… have you ever stopped using carbon entirely? Why?

Let’s talk about how carbon fits into your reefing routine and whether it’s something you swear by or just use when needed.

Oh, and be sure to check out this awesome DIY media reactor by @Mass Reef here: Easy Carbon/GFO Reactor
 
Nowadays, I pretty much leave a bag of carbon in my HOB filter all the time.
*don't have a sump or reactor
• TL Reefs ROX 0.8 carbon from Amazon
• Rinse about weekly but only change about monthly (so likely fairly well done being useful before that)
• I only use it as a "just in case" for any potential toxins, like from the couple of leather corals I have

I have no opinion on how useful it is but doesn't cost much (the way I use it) so have just been going with it.

Other than some potential link to HLLE from some forms of carbon, haven't seen any info leading me to believe there are many negatives (but could be wrong).
*I have no tangs or other fish prone to HLLE
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new