Do you see your corals as pets?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your relationship with your corals? Do you see them as pets, or just plants (that happen to be animals)? Do you see them as live decoration for the tank?

…Do you, erm, talk to your corals?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk. Of course their kinda like pets but I don’t view them as a pet, not exactly. Not like I do the fish. I‘ve never viewed them like a plant, or a plant to be a pet. IMO it’s in a category of its own.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a weird way I see some LPS differently from other corals this includes clams and anemones. Dono why

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and yes I talk to them. But, I'm not a good compass because I also talk to my oven, the wind, bugs that try to invade my house, and basically any other animate or inanimate object.
This stupid phone! Stop autocoretcing my messahes and tyoe what I'm trying to say@

Oh wait...

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see corals as a plant but I treat them like a pet. For example, a typical houseplant I can touch a leaf with my finger, and nothing happens. However, if I brush my finger up against a Zoanthid, it'll respond by closing up. This small interaction lets me know they are much more then a typical plant.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the corals are more akin to carnivorous plants, like venus fly traps, and pitcher plants. They're similar to plants, but there's just a bit more complexity to them.
That’s pretty much how I feel. Calling coral an animal is really a stretch.

FakeValtteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure! They’re a living organism that is relying on me to provide them with what they need to live and thrive. That said, there’s not the emotional connection like I have with a dog or cat but they’re still a pet and I treat them as well as I possibly can.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being taught as a kid that corals are animals, I’ve gone through my life always seeing them that way. I’ve always viewed and cared for them differently than I do plants.

I tend to anthropomorphize them a little bit, but not to the point of talking to them like I do my dogs. Usually just along the lines of saying “hey little buddy, how you feeling today” or “here you go little guy” when I target feed them all. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back