Do you see your corals as pets?

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are something you care for and try to keep healthy and happy then I believe you can consider them pets although they do not react like a dog or cat they do react to the care they receive.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just cut up my first mushroom today, I feel like I'm hurting this coral, it's a weird feeling as I'm new to this.

I think it's more towards the fact they move more/ react defencely.
I guess you just need adjust your thoughts towards a goal, money/ income

Its a very wierd feeling, unfortunately you can not sell emotions

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, a pet is a being that acknowledges you in their presence (well, most of the time :grinning-squinting-face:). A specimen is a being that doesn't, and carries on despite you.
So coral are specimens, and fish are pets to me. But they all deserve our best effort in their care. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

EpisodeMnH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they’re technically both, if we’re being literal. But I definitely view them as more of a living decoration than a pet. I don’t grow any emotional attachment to them like I do with my fish, or even my crustaceans. I teared up when my previous Cleaner Shrimp died lol. Last time I lost a coral, it was more of an angry “Ouch, my pockets” type of feeling.

Ironically enough tho, corals require more “pet-like” specific aftercare than the fish do to make them work properly. Almost all fish are extremely easy in comparison, and even “Expert level” fish like Mandarins aren’t difficult at all, just more expensive to feed. But corals are where all the specifics come in. To me, that’s what caused the investment even tho the emotional investment is lacking unlike the fish. It’s satisfying getting the science down because it’s more of a challenge and learning curve.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a pet is basically any animal that you personally view as a pet. It can be a roach, a cat, a coral, brine shrimp. Heck some even refer to their carnivorous plant or marimos as pets. So its basically what you perceive.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this is hilarious, just got our tree up. And will post a pic when the army of nutcrackers invade the top of my canopy lol
image.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back