Do you use a backup power supply for your reef aquarium? If yes, what is it?

Do you have a backup power supply?

• Total voters

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ecotechs are you running and how much do they run on your tank(s) for you during an outage

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 UPS back ups to run the essentials for both tanks (heater, fans and (lights for big tank)) for about 4 hours. I also have 2 propane generators that I use if the power outage goes longer than 4 hours. I keep a minimum of 2 propane bottles per generator on hand that can last me a total of 2 days per tank running continuously.

I work about 30 minutes from home so I can get there pretty quick if needed. If I'm out of town then my neighbor will come over and manage things if needed. He knowledgeable enough about aquariums to handle anything I'd need him to do in an emergency.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in-place permanently but I work at home and get house sitter for vacations.

For multiple hour outages, I just throw in/on:
- Battery powered air pumps/stones
- EcoTech battery connected to Nero 5
*could probably handle a couple/few days but haven't had any outages longer than 16 hours (yet)

I'd be screwed on temperature for hot summer with AC out or, less likely, cold winter for any long outage but will just deal with it when it happens,,, i.e. find a gas generator and/or ice in bags/bottles.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What ecotechs are you running and how much do they run on your tank(s) for you during an outage
Make your own ecotech back up. @TheHarold made this for me. You can have a much bigger battery if you wanted.

Attachments

• IMG_2715.jpeg
    IMG_2715.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 25

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link for the inverter? So you hook it up to your car battery and leave the car running? Thanks.
Hi dwest, I don't have a link but I took a pic of the box of the inverter and I am sure that you can use the info there to find one on Amazon, which I think is where I got mine.

I have heard some aquarists use a deep cell marine boat battery ( which I assumes stores up more charge time) but I had not gotten around to buying one of those when I needed the inverter. We just hooked it up to my husband's Dodge Charger and let it idle for four days. It did not seem to hurt the car at all. Also I will show a pic of the cheap battery back up. One of these kept my sump aerated for the 4-5 days and it runs on 2
IMG_20230501_103803297.jpg
D batteries.
IMG_20230501_102847049.jpg

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi dwest, I don't have a link but I took a pic of the box of the inverter and I am sure that you can use the info there to find one on Amazon, which I think is where I got mine.

I have heard some aquarists use a deep cell marine boat battery ( which I assumes stores up more charge time) but I had not gotten around to buying one of those when I needed the inverter. We just hooked it up to my husband's Dodge Charger and let it idle for four days. It did not seem to hurt the car at all. Also I will show a pic of the cheap battery back up. One of these kept my sump aerated for the 4-5 days and it runs on 2
IMG_20230501_103803297.jpg
D batteries.
IMG_20230501_102847049.jpg
Thank you!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back