Do you use a backup power supply for your reef aquarium? If yes, what is it?

Do you have a backup power supply?

• Total voters

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this thread

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this a while (20+ years). I currently have 2 gas generators that I have had for absolutely ages that were my primary backup for the last decade. I have an ecoflow delta pro with a 400W solar panel for when things get *really* weird, and my primary backup is now (as of about 6 months ago) my car, which has V2L capabilities and can power the tank for quite a while.

I haven't actually had a power issue in a couple of years (I've had several over the course of my last 4 tank iterations), but my current plan is to use my car to power the tank for a day or two, then switch to the ecoflow when I need to charge, head over to the local fast charger (which is 4 miles away) charge up and then switch back to the car. Sprinkle in some gas generator charging for the ecoflow and I should be good for everything up to the zombie apocalypse.

In the case of an actual zombie apocalypse, I plan on releasing Xenia. Eventually, that crap will kill everything.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16hrs of battery backup with everything running, generator that will run the house including a/c after that

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I consider getting all the time. I debated getting one of the Ecotech battery backups but not totally sure how it works. Potentially dumb question, but is it brand specific? I run an Apex and mainly AI equipment, I figured the Ecotech would power them but perhaps I'm mistaken

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st ..Cyberpower 3000VA UPS
2nd .. 32kwH House Battery + 30kwH solar
Last straw .. Briggs & Stratton 6500VA Gas Generator.

Gotta keep the TV on and the beer cold.
Can I ask how well the Cyberpower works for you?
I currently just use a small rechargeable 20kMAh battery hooked up to a USB power head as an emergency flow generator. Even in winter, temps in Sydney aren't so low that the tank can't go for a day or so without heating, so keeping the water moving is the most important part. That and the relatively robust power grid means that we've never had an outage more than 5 or 6 hours and rarely more than one every 3 or 4 years The battery pack runs the mini powerhead for at least 24 hours on my testing and is enough to keep the water idly moving and break the surface tension..
However I also run a bunch of 3D printers and have often contemplated getting a UPS that can work in the event of an outage to let a print-in-progress finish.
Problem is, the way they measure UPS capacity is esoteric and confusing and doesn't easily translate to appliance draw so it's almost impossible to determine what is the right capacity to get.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole house generac generator with auto switch over. And if that failed I have a 6500watt portable genny that will power most essentials till I run out of gas.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how many of you have a backup power supply for your aquarium and if so, what kind is it?
I have also been doing this for over 20 years. I have inexpensive auto battery back up aerators on the display and sump. I considered a small gasoline generator for longer outages but knew that I might not fire it up every 4 months to keep it in good running order, plus it would take up a lot of space in the garage. So instead I bought a 1000 watt power inverter that I hook up to our car battery and run an extension cord to a window near my display and run the lights and return pump and fridge off of that. I have used it twice, once for 4-5 days so was well worth the $79 I spent on it. Its only about 12" x 5" x 3" so very easily stored and requires no maintenance at all.

laconic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
15.6k of solar panels and 3 tesla powerwalls, I have small generators if things get super sketchy

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also been doing this for over 20 years. I have inexpensive auto battery back up aerators on the display and sump. I considered a small gasoline generator for longer outages but knew that I might not fire it up every 4 months to keep it in good running order, plus it would take up a lot of space in the garage. So instead I bought a 1000 watt power inverter that I hook up to our car battery and run an extension cord to a window near my display and run the lights and return pump and fridge off of that. I have used it twice, once for 4-5 days so was well worth the $79 I spent on it. Its only about 12" x 5" x 3" so very easily stored and requires no maintenance at all.
Do you have a link for the inverter? So you hook it up to your car battery and leave the car running? Thanks.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a huge UPS that can handle the whole tank for 24 hours minus the heaters.
I also have a genny the can handle most of the house.
I think I'm covered for a black out. :)

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automatic system: Battery back up for my pumps in the tank

Manual System: Generator

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loads of threads on this topic, all end up making the same point: eventually you'll be faced with a protracted power outage, have a plan to address!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back