Does “Natural Sun Light” ever strike your tank?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a serious amount of lights but nothing beats how it looks with indirect light or direct sunlight which the sun is in position twice a year for around a week at a time. Whenever I wake up early I open the blinds just to view the tank with or without direct sunlight. And here's my out of control light setup, although atleast there's backups if one goes down.
16559381746335607536443160305391.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes depending on time of year and I absolutely hate it since it throws off the placement of low light corals I have for a couple months or I have to close the blinds.

If I leave all alone the previously low light coral bleach out every year when the sun changes angle enough to come in the window and many of them are encrusted so can’t move them so closing the blinds it is.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a serious amount of lights but nothing beats how it looks with indirect light or direct sunlight which the sun is in position twice a year for around a week at a time. Whenever I wake up early I open the blinds just to view the tank with or without direct sunlight. And here's my out of control light setup, although atleast there's backups if one goes down.
16559381746335607536443160305391.jpg
Looks perfectly reasonable to me. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you support the 10(N) to 1(P) ratio? I’m carefully watching that and trying to create that balance. Thx. :)

No. I recommend 2-10 ppm nitrate and 0.03 to 0.1 ppm phosphate, with levels above the range better than below.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks perfectly reasonable to me. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Ya I'm not crazy, last june I took down 3 tanks and replaced the 90g in my bedroom with a new 180g. So I had 4 360x's and 4 360we's was gonna sell some but next thing you know I mount all 8 over the tank. You get some cool different color combinations, have backups and the fish and corals seem to like them. That's how I ended up with 8!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
the left side(if you’re looking at the front of the tank), does get sunlight. all of my RFA’s are on the side and my space invader pectinia. i’m assuming they like the additional “PAR”

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I recommend 2-10 ppm nitrate and 0.03 to 0.1 ppm phosphate, with levels above the range better than below.
Thanks, appreciate the assist!!! I’m glad there seems to be an ongoing discussion about this topic. I can definitely adopt your recommendation. Again thx.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the morning the rising sun comes directly through an east facing window. I let as much of the sun hit the tank as I can! That is free light and way better than anything we can put above the tank including halides. Halides are the closest replacement we can get so I will take the real thing as much as I can.

If the sun hitting your tank causes algae issues, you have deeper underlying issues to correct. Mainly, not enough herbivores in the system.

rknapp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, the sun sweeping across the tank occurs most in the months around the winter solstice when the sun moves low enough in the sky to come through my French doors and sweep across the face of the tank. I have noticed that most if not all of my corals tend to perk up and it has tended to kick off growth spurts that will continue on for months even when most of the light source is back to only my Radion G4 Pros again.

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get direct sun to a section of my tank for about 2 months surrounding the winter solstice. I love how the Micromussa lord reacted. The side receiving direct sun turned orange while the other side remained green. It's a normally low par section of the tank. No problems related to the sun. It only hits the tank for a short period of time in the morning.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although I have some seriously decent lighting (Kessil A360x) I really look forward to summer when the evening sun comes through our family room window for about an hour. My whitish blue sand looks even more so. Love it! And my rockscape just comes alive. Cool to look at. My Derasa and gorgs and Neon Green Leather are the only corals that happen to be in the line of sight of this ultimate Metal Halide from 83 million miles away.
Just thought it was interesting.
C60E685D-2455-40BD-88B4-6290D492761E.jpeg
Yup my tank is right next to my window. But my blinds are almost always closed.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes depending on time of year and I absolutely hate it since it throws off the placement of low light corals I have for a couple months or I have to close the blinds.

If I leave all alone the previously low light coral bleach out every year when the sun changes angle enough to come in the window and many of them are encrusted so can’t move them so closing the blinds it is.
Wow didn’t really consider the flip side of this thread. Thanks!!!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure does!

One of my favorite things is seeing the natural light come through. Not only natural light, but 2 time a year there's moonlight that comes through. Even had a torch coral spawn in my tank.

Pic 1.jpg
Moonlight too? Very cool!!! Nice Euphillia.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back