Does a CO2 scrubber have the same effect as fresh air?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about doing it both ways. Enlarging the tube to a bigger size Pulling in outside air through the CO2 scrubber.
That way you're starting off with less CO2 in the air for the skimmer and it should make the media last longer

Fabianslit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if i understand correctly, if the hose running outside is too long CO2 scrubber would be the better solution?

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if i understand correctly, if the hose running outside is too long CO2 scrubber would be the better solution?

I remember in one of their previous videos about running a tube outside that if it is Longer then X amount of feet then you need to increase the tubing size. I'm not sure on the length.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically; yes. The reason is that pulling air through a hose is more difficult than pulling air not through a hose. Think about breathing normally (or with pursed lips, I suppose) versus breathing through a straw. The straw breathing will be more difficult due to the resistance and such that occurs when the air is constricted into the tube. If you want to really see the difference, try breathing through a 10ft piece of airline tubing. Then cut an inch off of it and breath through that.

Skimmers aren't really pumping air like your lungs are - they just draw it in as part of drawing in water. As such, the draw strength is (relatively speaking) very low. When you add too much hose in front of this draw, the resistance of the hose length results in what draw there is being canceled out. Even a short bit of hose will do this, though likely not enough to really matter. Going with a larger hose for as long as possible will get you a longer run possible, but it still won't be the same as no hose at all.

When you combine the CO2 media WITH an outside line, the resistance of the media itself - not to mention the chamber connection points - will have an impact. As such; blending the two would meant that your total possible line length would be even shorter.

In the video, BRS suggests that a run length around 10ft is likely the longest you would want to run to the outside. That would be without having a CO2 scrubber involved.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To raise my pH levels, I ran tubing from my skimmer to the outdoors for fresh air.
The tubing travels a total of 25 feet through a wall and a soffit, so I increased the tubing size to 1" PEX tubing for less resistance on the drawn air.
My skimmer seems to still pull in enough fresh air as it hasn't diminished in performance and my pH levels have risen to acceptable levels.

When I tested the CO2 adsorption media, it was changed color and was used up rather quickly; which would've been an expensive method to raise the pH level over time.
Adding the tubing to pull in fresh air was a one time expense that will benefit my aquarium long term.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To raise my pH levels, I ran tubing from my skimmer to the outdoors for fresh air.
The tubing travels a total of 25 feet through a wall and a soffit, so I increased the tubing size to 1" PEX tubing for less resistance on the drawn air.
My skimmer seems to still pull in enough fresh air as it hasn't diminished in performance and my pH levels have risen to acceptable levels.

When I tested the CO2 adsorption media, it was changed color and was used up rather quickly; which would've been an expensive method to raise the pH level over time.
Adding the tubing to pull in fresh air was a one time expense that will benefit my aquarium long term.

Have you ever noticed a hard calcium buildup in your skimmer volute after changing to a fresh air intake?

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer is pulling air from outside through a about 5' of 1/2 pex pipe. I have NOT noticed a calcium buildup on the skimmer volute however my PH levels with a calibrated probe are
Minimum pH 7.75 Average 7.94 Maximum 8.14 over the last week.
I wouldn't mind getting them higher.

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both methods. I run a line outside to skimmer and run this during the day. At night I run the CO2 scrubber. My pH with just outside line would be 7.8 in the am to 8.1 in the evening. Now using both my pH is 8.08 in the am and 8.28 evening. I am using half the CO2 media as opposed to running it constantly, so saving a little money.

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you set the skimmer up to draw air through the media when ph is below 8.2? is their an electronic valve that sits between the skimmer and co2 absorbent media?

Fabianslit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you set the skimmer up to draw air through the media when ph is below 8.2? is their an electronic valve that sits between the skimmer and co2 absorbent media?
They're using an Neptune systems apex to control this.
*The controller has a 24vdc output

-that can turn the valve into either on or off position.

*ph phrobe

-that tells the 24 vdc port to either turn on or off

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect timing. I have just been doing the research in a trial to grt the ph levels to rise, i went ahead and purchased co2 media. I right away noticed a jump .10-.20. With me, my run outside made no difference. Only the media.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried running a piece of tubing from my skimmer to outside, i seen a small just but nothing significant. i then added the scrubber, a better jump but was literally burning through a canister of media in 2-3 days tops. then it hit me... attach the tubing for the inlet of the scrubber to the outside and run the skimmer from the scrubber... BANG still not 8.3 but I'm staying around 8-8.15 through a 24 hour period. and no calcium buildup for me either.

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my PH would swing from 7.84 to 8.11 at night when I was dosing Soda Ash 2 part. I ran a simple 20 foot 1/2" line to an outside window as a test. I am now averaging 8.05 and my swing is between 8.01 to 8.13 much better. I ordered a different line with a 3/4" inside diameter of amazon for $35 for 50 Going to run that tonight. It will be right at 28' total length. I will update you with new measurements.

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with very low ph issues. 7.6 to 7.9. I dose soda ash and run a co2 scrubber. The scrubber brings me up to 7.8 with a high of 7.89-7.9. Driving me nuts.

I also run line to scrubber, then like to outside.

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with very low ph issues. 7.6 to 7.9. I dose soda ash and run a co2 scrubber. The scrubber brings me up to 7.8 with a high of 7.89-7.9. Driving me nuts.

I also run line to scrubber, then like to outside.

I ran a 1/2' line outside and it worked well. Last night I ran the 3/4" inside diameter line. I am going to finish it up tomorrow when I get home from work. I will put up a video showing how I did it. I have not been able to find any and I am happy with the results so far. That is really odd that you are not having good results???? I will follow up.

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get a .2 increase which is great IMO. I believe my issues are else where. I'm going to re calibrate my sensor see if that helps

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back