Does a CO2 scrubber have the same effect as fresh air?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
money and time saving update on my C02 scrubbing post...

after running the scrubber for 4-5 months i realized i was fighting a losing battle with keeping enough media on hand and money in my bank account. so i tried a few places online to buy in bulk and burned through it just as fast as what you get from BRS. after watching the 160 videos and seeing the dual scrubber setup they have on it, i talked to @randyBRS and decided to double up on the 10" canisters BRS offers. i know what you're thinking, another $35 for the canister and twice as much media to fill... initially, yes. long run... not at all. i went from a canister every 2-3 days to replacing them every 12-14 days. i also found a company on amazon that sells two canisters (20 pounds) for $59 so I'm thoroughly excited about that.

IMG_5304.JPG

Fabianslit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

after running the scrubber for 4-5 months i realized i was fighting a losing battle with keeping enough media on hand and money in my bank account. so i tried a few places online to buy in bulk and burned through it just as fast as what you get from BRS. after watching the 160 videos and seeing the dual scrubber setup they have on it, i talked to @randyBRS and decided to double up on the 10" canisters BRS offers. i know what you're thinking, another $35 for the canister and twice as much media to fill... initially, yes. long run... not at all. i went from a canister every 2-3 days to replacing them every 12-14 days. i also found a company on amazon that sells two canisters (20 pounds) for $59 so I'm thoroughly excited about that.

IMG_5304.JPG
I am using jorvit CO2 scrubber got 45 pounds for $85 on shop med vet

Not sure how long it last compared to other brands but I get about 2 weeks per 3 lbs using a really high draw skimmer keeps PH at low 8 compared to 7.6

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using jorvit CO2 scrubber got 45 pounds for $85 on shop med vet

Not sure how long it last compared to other brands but I get about 2 weeks per 3 lbs using a really high draw skimmer keeps PH at low 8 compared to 7.6
this has been nice though.

fullsizeoutput_20a6.jpeg

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice score on Amazon! Even nicer on the organization under there! Idk if you read through this post yet, but there is some helpful in there as well! ;)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...ith-a-co2-scrubber.57609/page-11#post-3674262

-Randy

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Howieumd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5304.JPG

Hi, I don't see the dual CO2 scrubber on BRS. Did you purchase 2 and put them side by side, or is there a dual one I'm not seeing? How large is your tank? I have a 400 gallon and have been fighting PH swings that get up to around 8.1 before night comes then drops to around 7.75. It wasn't as bad until I got my calcium reactor going, but I need to stabilize it better. I have the CO2 scrubber, but definitely need to find a way to not have to change it out every 2-3 days like you. Thanks!

reefhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... I just can not believe it. IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!! We all know of the "snake oils" out there. Then, if a product does end up working it takes weeks to months to see results. This the first ever product I have used that instantly worked. I am talking within minutes my Apex PH graph started climbing. My pH was around 7.9-8.1 depending on time of day. Now it is 8.2-8.4. This happened immediately and I have noticed increased PE.

I am not sure why but my canister last two weeks easily. I am running it through a skimz sv203. I put two teaspoons of water in bottom of canister. Fill the cartridge up with as much media as possible. To the point where it is difficult to screw on the cap... I do not know if the tightly packed media equals longer life but would be extremely interested in testing this theory since the biggest drawback is media life.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I don't see the dual CO2 scrubber on BRS. Did you purchase 2 and put them side by side, or is there a dual one I'm not seeing? How large is your tank? I have a 400 gallon and have been fighting PH swings that get up to around 8.1 before night comes then drops to around 7.75. It wasn't as bad until I got my calcium reactor going, but I need to stabilize it better. I have the CO2 scrubber, but definitely need to find a way to not have to change it out every 2-3 days like you. Thanks!

@Howieumd i did purchase two of the single units and tied them together with a male to male threaded piece ( http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-x-1-4-male-npt-nipple.html ) I have a red sea reefer 450, you might need a few or maybe find jumbo ones like they used on the BRS 160 ( @randyBRS might be able to help you out with that ) if at all possible, run a line from outside to the intake of the reactor as well. that helped me tremendously. if i can be of any other assistance, feel free to message me!

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have it installed. My PH now goes between 8.02 and 8.1 according to my APEX. That being said, this morning I used the The Red Sea ph test kit and its reading was close to 8.2. I was doing a water change and had a fresh mix of Red Sea pro salt at 1.026. I also tested that water and it showed a solid 8.2 which according to the label is what it should be. I guess I could order a new probe because I have calibrated this one, but I am probably just going to watch the readings because if they stay consistent around this range I am going to consider it a win. My total run is 21 feet I have Reef Octopus 150sss. I attached a couple of feet 1/2" inside diameter tube and most of it is 3/4" inside diameter tube.
51373608102__B62FE5B7-9526-4172-BC04-7356F9891371.JPG
IMG_1577-1.JPG
IMG_1582-1.JPG
51373605883__32A09AD4-EF66-4741-92F2-E34BBA531D46.JPG
IMG_1576.JPG

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to make this look a little more finished, but its working.

IMG_1584-1.JPG
IMG_1586.JPG

also while I have you lol. Have you ever seen this long single strand. Its had to get a good photo of. Its not a carpet type algae. Thanks have a great night.
IMG_1584-1.JPG
IMG_1586.JPG

Last edited:

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever noticed a hard calcium buildup in your skimmer volute after changing to a fresh air intake?

After about 3-4 weeks, i have build up completely bollocking it, and it's a pain to clean out. No line outside, just a homemade CO2 scrubber with BRS product.

I didn't know what it was actually. I stopped using it because it didn't help raise my ph.

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 3-4 weeks, i have build up completely bollocking it, and it's a pain to clean out. No line outside, just a homemade CO2 scrubber with BRS product.

I didn't know what it was actually. I stopped using it because it didn't help raise my ph.
I protected it from insects and lizards. Its on my screened patio, I will update if / when the line gets clogged up with anything.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5304.JPG

So you’re running the two in series? One draws through the other? Which media exhaust faster? Are you rotating canisters hen one exhausts? Thinking of adding a second chamber to mine.

Thanks

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone try running pure oxygen supplementation into the skimmer intake instead of the media? I have a few O2 cylinders laying around and thought about trying that and seeing if I get any better run time than the media. It would be hard to test though since I don’t have an Apex and run a skimmer rated for 850 gallons on my 180. It breathes heavily!

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would defeat the purpose of the co2 media in the first place. Never seen anyone run pure oxygen to their tank or slimmer.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s 1000% percent my point. Oxygen is far easier to come by than that media. Clearly no one has tried it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back