Does anyone have a candy basslet?

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do they go for? Are they hard to find? Post pics!

Trying to find a small fish that’s big in colour/patterns. I was looking into some dwarf angels but not a huge fan of any of the colourations

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UMmmmm...

LA has it's price as $829.99! Yes 800 dollars for a fish the size of your middle finger, which IMO you should just give to LA instead of buying that fish. lol

While certainly not as colorful as the candy basslet, the swalesi basslet is very similar and only $80.

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, the Candy Basslet goes for a couple hundred due to that they're caught in deeper waters and harder to come by / catch compared to other basslets. The lowest price I saw one for sale was $549. While they are really colorful, I could never take a gamble on a fish with that price tag personally lol

As said by Homer, I recommend checking out other basslets in the Liopropoma genus since while a lot of them probably aren't as vivid as the Candy, they have the same pattern / some other striking colors. Goodluck with your search!

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota is breeding other types of basslets… time to start on the candies! @Biota_Marine
Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be breeding these. Our breeder in NC had success with these (https://reefs.com/2012/06/01/its-se...riod,Aquarium have finally reached settlement.) The larval duration is just too long to make the species viable sadly, the cost would be much much more than what's being mentioned in this thread. I know the wholesaler Dynasty Marine typically has some on hand so you can have your LFS place an order with them.

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some in our display tank. You'll never see that fish unless its a little tank lol
Ours are in a 600 with other fish so its understandable they're shy but still, you may go days without seeing them.
Additionally they're hard to collect and you have to cast a wide net with suppliers to see who lands one first. Many wont bring it in as well. It was like pulling teeth to get ours even with direct access to wholesalers and collectors

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be breeding these. Our breeder in NC had success with these (https://reefs.com/2012/06/01/its-settled-first-captive-bred-candy-bass-liopropoma-carmabi/#:~:text=First captive bred candy bass, Liopropoma carmabi,-By Todd Gardner&text=After a staggering larval period,Aquarium have finally reached settlement.) The larval duration is just too long to make the species viable sadly, the cost would be much much more than what's being mentioned in this thread. I know the wholesaler Dynasty Marine typically has some on hand so you can have your LFS place an order with them.

Awww too bad they are not easier to raise up :(

I am still waiting on them potters angels you said you were working on... !!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back