Does anyone know about stray voltage in Millivolts

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was checking my stray voltage in my tank today and it was .5 volts I dont know if this is high or acceptable. in millivolts it was - 501. when i unplugged my new chiller it went down to .25 volts but nothing else would make it go any lower I unplugged everything else and nothing would make it go lower. So what I am asking is would that amount be acceptable or do I need to get it lower and why would a brand new chiller running on a external pump add stray voltage?

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is nothing to worry about. It's just noise. You would probabbly still measure that much if everything was off in your tank.

Jack

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those levels are low, however i am a big fan of grounding probes and GFCI circuit breakers and receptacles.
If you are not plugged into a GFCI receptacle in your wall i suggest you swap that out and get one. It is much safer and will trip instantly in the event of a short which could cause a fire or electric shock to you.

The grounding probe is a failsafe that protects you one step further and eliminates stray voltage. :)

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dido on what he said about the GFCI and grounding probe and what I told you yesterday.

:)

Its ok you didn't believe me and wanted to ask others though. :p

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double ditto on the GFCI. I have seen the arguments on grounding probes and do not wish to get into one but I am an electronic engineer and would never put a grouding probe in my tank.
Jack

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back