Does anyone know the type of algae this is?

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae could be Valonia aegagropila its not fairly common to see although is probably worth trying a emerald crab wile at this stage, as for the Cyanobacteria I’d recommend to try and eliminate the excess organic you got from the anemone die inside the tank.

Attachments

• BC1C0C24-D71F-439D-95FC-2F68CCBBBC08.jpeg
    BC1C0C24-D71F-439D-95FC-2F68CCBBBC08.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae could be Valonia aegagropila its not fairly common to see although is probably worth trying a emerald crab wile at this stage, as for the Cyanobacteria I’d recommend to try and eliminate the excess organic you got from the anemone die inside the tank.
Green stuff is growing more. Stuff looks pretty cool lol

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That algae is one touch one to beat. I had them in my tank and I tried everything including Vibrant but it didn't work. If I dipped it in hydrogen peroxide and it came back. It was a struggle for 3 years and finally I teared the tank down and started a new one with new rock and didn't bring anything from old tank over.

I have asked this same question in this forum but no one had any real solution to kill this algae. The best some one had come up with was that this is a type of bubble algae but bubble algae can be killed by Vibrant but Vibrant has no effect on this type of algae.

IMG_20200322_181425.jpg

IMG_20200322_181330.jpg

IMG_20200322_181138.jpg
Thank you. When you had this stuff Did it look grass like or almost Christmasy when it was out of control? If this is the algae I think it is my lfs said about my father in laws tank that they will take it in return for a fish. That this algae is very rare to come by and your water has to be immaculate in order to produce.

ndds73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. When you had this stuff Did it look grass like or almost Christmasy when it was out of control? If this is the algae I think it is my lfs said about my father in laws tank that they will take it in return for a fish. That this algae is very rare to come by and your water has to be immaculate in order to produce.
Your lfs is correct about the right condition to produce this algae. I noticed that I tank went for a long period of time of almost no nitrate and phosphate for it to start growing and just can't stop. Besides at that time after raising the level of PO4 and NO3 didn't just kill it. It will continue to thrive once it got a foot hold in the tank. Now after 7 years in the hobby, the sign that the tank is reaching zero nitrates or phosphate (imbalance) is that you start seeing small air bubbles on your rock and frag plugs. That is when you will need to dose phosphate or nitrates to keep both in balance.

When this algae grew, it was like stringy bubble through out the rocks just as those pictures I attached in the thread.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to keep my nitrates under 5ppm and phosphates around .50ppm. Practicing for when I get another anemone in the future.
Contrary to what some preach, nems don't generally need super low N/P. It won't hurt them for it to be low, but it's not a requirement in most cases.
(But, if you're keeping N around 5-10, P is best kept at 0.05- 0.10... not at 0.50)

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to what some preach, nems don't generally need super low N/P. It won't hurt them for it to be low, but it's not a requirement in most cases.
(But, if you're keeping N around 5-10, P is best kept at 0.05- 0.10... not at 0.50
We’ll around the time I had it nitrates was 20ppm and phosphate was 0.50

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I got how do I keep phosphate lower than .50ppm with sand in aquarium?
I read the words fine the first time. I'm just not sure what sand has to do with lowering phosphates, lol!

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*To be clear, I'm not saying you NEED to lower your phosphates; you posted an apparent "target" of nitrates=5 and phos =0.5. I was just pointing out that this ratio is off the "ideal" by a degree of 10 ("ideal", and I use quotes intentionally because many don't follow it, is 100:1 -- N to P)

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*To be clear, I'm not saying you NEED to lower your phosphates; you posted an apparent "target" of nitrates=5 and phos =0.5. I was just pointing out that this ratio is off the "ideal" by a degree of 10 ("ideal", and I use quotes intentionally because many don't follow it, is 100:1 -- N to P)
I read the words fine the first time. I'm just not sure what sand has to do with lowering phosphates, lol!
Thank you.

VCreamer87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was blowing this nasty purplish red algae of this dried up hard coral. And found these green stick like algae under it. Does anyone know what it’s called? Is this rare or common algae? And does anyone know what this purple black carpet algae is? I blow this carpet stuff away and it comes back with a wrath in at least 24 hours.

5C733A81-1229-4BE9-A7A7-9572E584D210.jpeg 375EAE65-40EE-4E57-B3ED-2CF401275B9F.jpeg
The green looks like it might be mahano anemone it’s closely related to aptasia maybe investigate that it’s relatively harmless if kept in check but could sting other coral and the usually stick to the top of rock work to be greedy with light.

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(But, if you're keeping N around 5-10, P is best kept at 0.05- 0.10... not at 0.50)
I agree I had algae problems when I had my phosphates high but now I’m bringing it down closer to .10 I noticed it helped a lot and my anemones and coral are doing better.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back