Does anyone still use surge buckets/boxes?

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember when the cool thing back in the day was to use surge boxes/buckets to create wave like motion in our tanks... I CERTAINLY DONT because I wasn’t born back then. But rereading some of J. Sprungs books again brought me to the flow section where he goes over different options. When I saw surge boxes I really thought they were cool and wanted to ask if anyone has them in their tanks. I’ve seen them at public aquariums but want to know if anyone uses them personally. The wave motion they give I feel would created such a fantastic and natural wave motion that things look like their in a surge zone. Do you know anyone still using these... do you use them?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good wave makers will kinda of do that for you these days.
Pumps have small footprint and ease of setup.
My wife would not let me do the water dump thing.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a thread in the DIY section a couple of years ago on the Carlson surge device. Not a dump bucket .... basically a toilet style flush device. I don’t think you’ll find many reefers still using them. I used them on my reef tank in the 1990s after reading Walter Aden’s book on aquatic ecosystems. Noisy, maintenance intensive and messy. Variable flow power heads are much better for most systems. If I ever get a really huge tank, I might return to using one .....

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tunze wavebox and highly recommend it.

IMHO,

Pros:
1. the best softy and lps swaying movement, natural and mesmerizing.
2. Fish seem to enjoying the movement. They move in a different manner when the entire water column is moving.
3. Moves water in a totally different way then a wavemaker. Those nooks and crannies are being addressed!

Cons:
Takes up space in DT.
Loud.

I have mine apex controlled to run 4pm-7pm, only due to the noise. If it were silent, would definitely run 24/7!

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-15 years ago there was a huge build thread...Literally the house was built around the tank. It has a 5000 gallon surge tank above it and have a bunch of huge 4" dumps with electronically actuated butterfly valves...they had a custom controller build that could open different valves at different times and in random orders. the deal was, the tank had to be overbuilt so that it could handle dumping 1000s of gallons of water in it and be able to hold it while the overflows processed it..I couldn't find it. It was on RC, and I imagine all the photos are missing after the great photobucket purge...

OP
OP
Bepis

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think people wouldn’t mind the noise if it sounded like waves I mean people literally put on synthetic white noise these days. Doesn’t the effect of a box under the hood to at dumps a wave every 30 seconds incredible. Another bucket I saw was a siphon system which I would assume would be quieter. The water waits till it fills till a certain point then waboosh into the tank. Our tanks these days have a cobstant flow from all directions but in the reef it’s more of just 1 forward 1 back.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I made one ....
but the problem I had was the water level was so low waiting for the toilet float bucket to fill .
it didn’t even make it to become a reef .

OP
OP
Bepis

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefits it provides are real surface skimming, true aeration/oxygenation of the water and a natural sway to the water. Imagine what someone could do today... heck someone could build this:
1. Water slowly gets pumped to a chamber

2. water reaches a float switch or surface sensor and a really strong pump shoots the water out threw a long nozzle that stretches across the tanks width

3. Water flows threw a bulkhead on the same side and creates a reverse wave
Years ago I made one ....
but the problem I had was the water level was so low waiting for the toilet float bucket to fill .
it didn’t even make it to become a reef .
The tank was probably to small or you didn’t make the bucket to proportion of the tank.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one a year back. 350 gallon pond in the basement. 44 gallon rubbermaid carlson surge device. 3" pipe. Would dump every minute or so. 40 gallons of water would drain and surge in about 8 seconds. I have a video i can upload later.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think people wouldn’t mind the noise if it sounded like waves I mean people literally put on synthetic white noise these days. Doesn’t the effect of a box under the hood to at dumps a wave every 30 seconds incredible. Another bucket I saw was a siphon system which I would assume would be quieter. The water waits till it fills till a certain point then waboosh into the tank. Our tanks these days have a cobstant flow from all directions but in the reef it’s more of just 1 forward 1 back.
This is a Carlson wave box. Works like a toilet flushing. From what I remember seeing tanks with these devices is that they added a lot of micro bubbles to the tank. Also, in a reef tank I would expect it to cause problems with the overflow with the changing tank volumn.

Personally now I would use dc pumps and gyres, unless I was building a massive tank, 4-500+ gallons

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always though it would be cool to have one but I doubt my wife would approve of the bucket, or whatever horrible looking container I'd use, hanging over the tank in the living room. It seems like years ago I saw a video of a coral farm somewhere that used them for flow in their frag tanks.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our system has two. We have a 300gal DT that uses a 18gal modified Carlson design. This has been running for just over a year w/ virtually no maintenance. We also have a 40gal frag tank that we bolted in back in Nov that uses a 5gal bucket with a Bell siphon (no other wavemaker). They are louder than wavemakers & we have microbubbles, but they are remarkable to watch & the fish quickly learned to swim in the surge in search for zooplankton.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our system has two. We have a 300gal DT that uses a 18gal modified Carlson design. This has been running for just over a year w/ virtually no maintenance. We also have a 40gal frag tank that we bolted in back in Nov that uses a 5gal bucket with a Bell siphon (no other wavemaker). They are louder than wavemakers & we have microbubbles, but they are remarkable to watch & the fish quickly learned to swim in the surge in search for zooplankton.
Would love to see some pics and a video of this

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see some pics and a video of this
Here's the Carlson device on the DT:

And the Bell siphon on the frag tank:

You should be able to see the full write-ups & the videos.

The Carlson device is quieter of the two, but with a few tweaks, I expect the Bell siphon would be an overall better solution as it is the simpler option. Either way, they are amazing in their reliability, maintenance & power usage.

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Since I'm planning for my next build (in-wall 265), I am seriously considering this. I was looking at the trough-style they use at the Georgia Aquarium but def gonna check some of these other designs out.

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried but it caused havoc with my sump levels. For flow nowadays, a few gyre type pumps are all I need for a thriving SPS reef. Perfect type of flow.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one, and wrote the DIY article. My fish love it. They dance around in the surge, and I feel it greatly enriches their lives. I also have an auto-feeder on it, which dumps pellet foods into the tank, and it makes the fish love the stream even more.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cooking up plans to do a really huge tank once I retire in about 6 years. Been thinking about flow because pumps for monster tanks are either stupid $$ or a major eyesore. I probably will do a surge device, most likely based on a bell siphon.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back