Does anyone use nutri seawater ?!

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of switching over to a pre mixed saltwater...I haven’t done a water change in a year and I feel like this would be the easiest way ...any thoughts ??

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume you have a small tank (otherwise I'd be concerned about emergency large volume water changes). But yeah...I can see this being a solid solution.

I know you've already weighed costs of pre-mixed over mix yourself so we'll leave that out. You'd have to have some local supplier because shipping would be very expensive.

This is a convenience decision and could be a good one for you. Got to admit, sometimes I get tired of all the salt buckets, mixing, storage containers, measuring salinity and adjusting.

If you're tank is low demand on additives, you may not need much there either.

Good luck - let us know how this works out long term if you go this way. Is the convenience worth it?

OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume you have a small tank (otherwise I'd be concerned about emergency large volume water changes). But yeah...I can see this being a solid solution.

I know you've already weighed costs of pre-mixed over mix yourself so we'll leave that out. You'd have to have some local supplier because shipping would be very expensive.

This is a convenience decision and could be a good one for you. Got to admit, sometimes I get tired of all the salt buckets, mixing, storage containers, measuring salinity and adjusting.

If you're tank is low demand on additives, you may not need much there either.

Good luck - let us know how this works out long term if you go this way. Is the convenience worth it?
I was thinking of slowly doing very small water changes so it does not shock the system as I read the salinity is high....so I would start with 3-4 cups every few days I have a 75 gallon but the moving your salt dumping the water getting it all over is so annoying after working every day that’s the last thing I wanna do lol...I’m gonna give it a shot I’ll keep you posted

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this stuff when I started and had a 10g. My LFS… and I think Petsmart/Petco carried it so it was easy. I’m not saying it was cheaper vs an RO/DI and mixing station over the long haul but just starting out in the hobby it meant trying it out without committing and dedicating space in the garage and running plumbing.

10-ish years later and I have an remote AWC station and ATO station but I still think for smaller tanks it’s not a bad idea; at least to start or maintain a smaller tank.

Where I live now the LFS doesn’t appear to carry it so shipping would probably be horrendous. I also wouldn’t trust any of my LFS to mix my SW.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallons. So I assumed you just wanted to have on hand for makeup water from testing, skimmate removal, cleaning sand bed and that we were talking nano sized. I'm not sure why you want to start a water change if you haven't been doing them and it's working for you.

But if you do, you'd be safe adding one container (4.4 gallons I read) at a time (it's not going to change salinity that much). Realize though that doing a 4.4 gallon WC once a week for a year you'd have about 95% (52 changes) of the water swapped out.

However, I think that makes it financially problematic (would for me).

Another small volume option - is to go with ESV Salt Mix - you can buy 50 gallons mix at a time - designed for a 5 gallon bucket as it's extremely uniform.

Here's a handy calculator I use (Hamza's Reef) for water change and salinity adjustment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallons. So I assumed you just wanted to have on hand for makeup water from testing, skimmate removal, cleaning sand bed and that we were talking nano sized. I'm not sure why you want to start a water change if you haven't been doing them and it's working for you.

But if you do, you'd be safe adding one container (4.4 gallons I read) at a time (it's not going to change salinity that much). Realize though that doing a 4.4 gallon WC once a week for a year you'd have about 95% (52 changes) of the water swapped out.

Another small volume option - is to go with ESV Salt Mix - you can buy 50 gallons mix at a time - designed for a 5 gallon bucket as it's extremely uniform.

Here's a handy calculator I use (Hamza's Reef) for water change and salinity adjustment.

OP
OP
Frizzy reefnewb

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ty all for the response...yea it’s working I should just let it be but I was thinking it would be beneficial in the long run idk why ...I don’t add elements so was thinking that could only help because I thought that the premixed stuff has it all

Back