Does Carbon dosing effect N more than P?

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it equally (as a %) remove N and P?
or
Is it mostly N and little P?
or
Is it all N and no P?

If you had to guess what the ratio of N to P removal was with carbon dosing what would it be?

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I had no issues with Phos but my Nitrates was around 30, after 8 weeks of Vodka dosing, water changes and Fuge, my Nitrates dropped to 1 and Phos did not change but was at .03.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with me. I had high nitrates as well as phosphates. Nitrates came down, but phosphates barely moved. I ended up dosing lanthanum chloride while carbon dosing.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have phosphates come down a bit...2.0 to about 0.8 but then became N limited at 0. Has to back off the NOPOx a bit, get nitrates up to 3-5 ppm and use a phosphate removal to get them at .03-.05 consistently. Used both lanthanum and Phosguard at various times depending what I want to do.

Meo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think (basing on my experience) is more related to kind/species of bacteria in the tank, respect to the carbon source composition or N-P ratio.

Of course, a limitation factor linked to the N availability exist for P reduction (40:1 I think), but i'snt the matter, specially in old tank (more than 3 years old)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon reduces both N and P BUT....
In most established systems PO4 will be bound to aragonite surfaces (all rock and substrate) and the bonding is in equilibrium with water. So as carbon causes N and P to be consumed, the surfaces release P to restore equilibrium.
Thus PO4 can be very hard to budge.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back