Does CO2 "grade" matter in a Ca reactor?

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting a Ca reactor, but I want to know if the grade of CO2 (e.g. food grade) matters. I can get CO2 tank refills at a place that maintains fire extinguishers or from Airgas. I haven't found a local beverage supply company that sells to anybody but businesses. Is the fire extinguisher/Airgas CO2 safe to use in a reef?

Also trying to figure bottle size (I would like get as small as possible but don't want to have to get refilled every month). My actual tank volume is estimated at around 130 gallons (tank is 6' x 2' x 19" plus a sump). It isn't heavily stocked with LPS and SPS right now, but my LPS and SPS corals are growing, and I am still adding. I also plan to continue dosing kalk, mainly to help keep pH up, and estimate I will dose 60% - 75% of total top-off required. Any thoughts on how long a 5lb bottle might last me?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Commercial/industrial grade used for welding is fine. When I ran a reactor I used to get refills at a welding store.

5lbs depending on the tank volume etc. should last ~4-6 months.

klesel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always buy food grade it's not much more and peice of mind . $15 for a year it's cheap!

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used industrial welding supply gasses in my kegerator for years. From my understanding any small batch co2 is food grade as it's too cost inefficient otherwise. Unless you're getting a pipeline of gas to you it's probably food grade.

OP
OP
Crashjack

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fire extinguisher place is actually the most convenient, and they refill. I’ve heard that Airgas will only swap, but I plan to call tomorrow to confirm.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fire extinguisher place is actually the most convenient, and they refill. I’ve heard that Airgas will only swap, but I plan to call tomorrow to confirm.

Yeah, my airgas only does swaps. I will be going to the local fire extinguisher place myself next time ;)

Red1CA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently found a place for co2 refill in my local area, definitely check out wielding shops (usually in Industrial areas). They filled on the spot, no swapping for me. Paid a pretty penny for my Catalina tanks

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a local welding shop as well. They fill the tank unless the date for testing/pressure the tank is due.. Then they swap. Every 5 years they need to test the bottle. Date is stamped on the tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back