Does copper power impact refractometer reading?

JustinMN18

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 1, 2020
Messages
342
Reaction score
88
Location
55427
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does copper artificially elevate salinity readings on refractometers? I am at 0.25 copper today, and did a water change before starting to ramp up. The bucket of water I mixed said 35ppt, and I just went to test the salinity of the QT tank and it was at 43.

I'm adding fresh RODI water to bring it down, but I'm just wondering if the small amount of copper is making it read higher.
 
Does copper artificially elevate salinity readings on refractometers? I am at 0.25 copper today, and did a water change before starting to ramp up. The bucket of water I mixed said 35ppt, and I just went to test the salinity of the QT tank and it was at 43.

I'm adding fresh RODI water to bring it down, but I'm just wondering if the small amount of copper is making it read higher.
It should not
Try calibrating the refractometer
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new