Does my purple stylo seem okay?

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this from a friend 12 days ago and the polyps aren’t extended as it was in his frag tank and the base has turned white. In his frag tank, under T5s but lower PAR (about 100), the entire colony had polyps very extended. In my tank at the top of my rocks (around 200-250 PAR), the base has turned white and the polyps aren’t as extended although it still seems happy…. What do you guys think? Is it unhappy or is this what you’d expect it to look like under higher PAR?

1A7A5C9A-4E0E-4170-A4A0-E910F0A7AA96.jpeg

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a good bit a tissue loss starting so idk. Purple stylos are good anywhere in a tank, so put it somewhere and let it be.

OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a good bit a tissue loss starting so idk. Purple stylos are good anywhere in a tank, so put it somewhere and let it be.
It’s been in that exact spot for 2 weeks. I put it there once I got it home. So I should just leave it and see? Should I reduce the lights and do an acclimation?

thepotoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't move it. This is probably the hardiest SPS there is, it'll do fine in any par.

The base and any shaded areas will get lighter, don't mind that.
1626023072458.png

Keep an eye on these spots, if they get larger, you're in trouble.

It will likely be mad for a few more days just due to your water being new to it. As long as the tips are white and have polyps, that is a good sign. If the tips turn purple, it has stopped growing and you need to figure out why.

OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't move it. This is probably the hardiest SPS there is, it'll do fine in any par.

The base and any shaded areas will get lighter, don't mind that.
1626023072458.png

Keep an eye on these spots, if they get larger, you're in trouble.

It will likely be mad for a few more days just due to your water being new to it. As long as the tips are white and have polyps, that is a good sign. If the tips turn purple, it has stopped growing and you need to figure out why.
Thank you! This is the kind of detailed information I was hoping for. I appreciate it!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back