Does my tang have Ich?

GamerDadof4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if I am being paranoid or not so I figured I would ask the experts. Tang is not showing any labored breathing, normal eating, no scratching.

Seems to be about 5 small bumps under his skin on his side, small but noticeable because I look at him everyday. And like 4 white dots on his back fin.

Would love to get thoughts. Pics are worth 1000 words.

Screenshot_20200218-201120.png
MVIMG_20200218_195846.jpg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately it does look like ich to me on the top and tail fins. Lower fin does not resemble ich.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich yes. Worry? No. Good food and water and you'll be set. IME pulling all fish and treating does more harm than good, as it'll more than likely it will be reintroduced to the tank, but this time it will kill those previously treated fish because their immune systems have been destroyed by the copper.

OP
OP
GamerDadof4

GamerDadof4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda looks like ich to me also. Any recent changes in the tank?
That's what I thought... :/. No livestock changes in about 4 weeks last added 2 peppermint shrimp.

No parameter changes, everything is pretty consistent. I did plumb a refugium to the tank but didn't add any algea yet... So just a 10 gallon extra tank with some live rock from the DT in it...

Ucyibd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are ich magnets, keep it fed good and keep the water quality spot on and you should be able to battle through.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of info for you to help with your next step:

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man...... 220g? Best advice is to feed all fresh/frozen and maybe medicated food, and just let them deal with it. I had ich on every fish in my tank....... I added a gem tang 6 months ago maybe..... sure enough, ich outbreak for a week or two, and my tank hasn’t had anything since. I actually added 3 wrasse and a purple fish of some sort a month ago, and none of those 4 ever showed any symptoms.

I know velvet etc can wipe out a tank, but if a fish looks healthy, and has been at the shop for more than a couple weeks, it goes right in my tank.

Basically if I’d buy it, it goes in the tank!

Ich ain’t so bad.....

OP
OP
GamerDadof4

GamerDadof4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah total water volume is close to 400. Only has 6 fish, as I'm about 6-7 weeks out of cycle with water parameters on point.

Just starting slow so at least the tank isn't full, just sucks because I felt I did/am doing everything right and still this happens. Frustrating.

I'll keep on with good water changes and good feeding and try to wait it out.

Thanks everyone. I kind of figured thats what it was but it's always nice to have knowledgeable people give their input.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back