Does quarantine help or really hurt the fish?

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine all my fish and I’m starting to think it might actually hurt them more due to stress than help them. I never lost a fish aside one recent loss since I’ve been quarantining my fish, but is it better to treat the disease/bacteria when it happens than to be proactive and prevent it all together? I noticed when treating my fish they all seem pretty calm, even the wrasses in copper which came to my surprise, but how much does the copper/prazipro or other medications actually hurt them? In terms of factors that could affect their life span, dosing so many different medications that these fish don’t have and aren’t used to and don’t have in the ocean. I understand there are counter arguments in regards to the ocean is much more vast than our tanks so ich isn’t an issue but please any helpful and not negative feedback would be greatly appreciated

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantining definitely hurts fish and kills many of them, but I am trying hard not to get involved in these threads any longer. Have a great day. :cool:

But on a side note USMC 4 LIFE, thank you for your service.....I was Army but don't hold that against me. :D

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine all my fish and I’m starting to think it might actually hurt them more due to stress than help them. I never lost a fish aside one recent loss since I’ve been quarantining my fish, but is it better to treat the disease/bacteria when it happens than to be proactive and prevent it all together? I noticed when treating my fish they all seem pretty calm, even the wrasses in copper which came to my surprise, but how much does the copper/prazipro or other medications actually hurt them? In terms of factors that could affect their life span, dosing so many different medications that these fish don’t have and aren’t used to and don’t have in the ocean. I understand there are counter arguments in regards to the ocean is much more vast than our tanks so ich isn’t an issue but please any helpful and not negative feedback would be greatly appreciated
I mean, the answer here should be very clear. Of course it is likely to be more harmful than beneficial for the quarantined fish. They live in a smaller space, have to deal with medications, maybe not even any hiding space, and so on.

So why quarantine? Because it is the life of the rest of the live stock that is being protected here. If the fish is diseased, they would not spread it to the fish already in the main tank. That's the point.

It's the same with humans. When people fly in to the country from elsewhere during Covid, they might have to be quarantined. It is claustrophobic, things are uncomfortable, and basically it is no fun. But why is it necessary? For the sake of everyone else.

If you think that quarantining is somehow meant to be a good thing for the fish being quarantined, then I am unsure if you understand the purpose of quarantining. You might want to read up some more on the topic.

P.S. With that said, there can be certain benefits, like if they are actually diseased, they could be treated or allowed to recover without having to deal with the extra stress of having to deal with other live stock. Though in that case the quarantine tank is also acting as a hospital tank, so yeah kind of a different story.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantining definitely hurts fish and kills many of them, but I am trying hard not to get involved in these threads any longer. Have a great day. :cool:

But on a side note USMC 4 LIFE, thank you for your service.....I was Army but don't hold that against me. :D
Sad that people have feelings like this however I understand. Sometimes healthy debate is sidelined by misinformation and aggression.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re the observant type and have the time and knowledge to know what to look for “disease wise”, then that’s great!!! Seems the supply chain of fish has gone down hill in recent years. No matter if you choose to treat prophylactically or not, most fish these days have been exposed to some med, somewhere in the supply chain. Mostly sub therapeutic. I think that plays a role in these more resistant strains of velvet. You can observe forever if you want. Then throw any type of Acanthurus tang in the mix, and you will truly find out if you have anything in your tank pathogen wise. Copper is a poison, plane and simple. And a immunosuppressant at that. No doubt about it! I hate medicating, but sometimes it’s necessary. You’ll find folks that have had their tank wiped out one too many times. Usually only takes once. Those are the ones that tend to medicate no matter if a fish is symptomatic or not. Velvet isn’t something you want in your tank. But could be easily detected in the small confines of a Qt. Not that that’s your situation. And then you have the PaulB end of the spectrum. I personally never quarantined anything for the first 15 years of my Reefkeeping journey. I call myself lucky. I’ll take luck any day of the week though. For the last several years I’ve chosen to prophylactically treat everything. There’s plenty of accounts of fish living long healthy lives after meds. Some would say some meds like formalin can have long term affects and shorten a fishes lifespan. No clue if that’s true or not. That’s the great thing about this hobby. We all have choices. And there’s a million different opinions out there. It’s your choice.

Last edited:

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same with humans. When people fly in to the country from elsewhere during Covid, they might have to be quarantined. It is claustrophobic, things are uncomfortable, and basically it is no fun. But why is it necessary? For the sake of everyone else.
Really this is inflammatory and best left out.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the supply chain of fish has gone down hill in recent years.
The supply has it's up and downs, but to say that it has gone downhill is from lack of a long enough timeline. This is a perspective issue. On average it is the same as it has always been.

No matter if you choose to treat prophylactically or not, most fish these days have been exposed to some med, somewhere in the supply chain.
This has been true since Paul B. started reefing. The medicine of choice changes but that the fish are medicated has not and IMO will not change.

Mostly sub therapeutic.
Yup. Because the goal is to move the fish along in a disgusting game of musical chairs.

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, the answer here should be very clear. Of course it is likely to be more harmful than beneficial for the quarantined fish. They live in a smaller space, have to deal with medications, maybe not even any hiding space, and so on.

So why quarantine? Because it is the life of the rest of the live stock that is being protected here. If the fish is diseased, they would not spread it to the fish already in the main tank. That's the point.

If you think that quarantining is somehow meant to be a good thing for the fish being quarantined, then I am unsure if you understand the purpose of quarantining. You might want to read up some more on the topic.

P.S. With that said, there can be certain benefits, like if they are actually diseased, they could be treated or allowed to recover without having to deal with the extra stress of having to deal with other live stock. Though in that case the quarantine tank is also acting as a hospital tank, so yeah kind of a different story.
I understand I think I just feel bad for the fish at this point, having to endure things that they aren’t used to that will potentially shorten their life

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sad that people have feelings like this however I understand. Sometimes healthy debate is sidelined by misinformation and aggression.
It’s just a peaceful debate, more so just asking for information cause I’ve always quarantined and now i think I’m going to decide to only quarantine if I see them get sick. I know people may have issues with this but I feel really bad for the fish, and imagine how many people do quarantine and the fish still die maybe not due to the sickness/disease that they could’ve overcame on their own but by the stress and chemicals from the medicine.

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re the observant type and have the time and knowledge to know what to look for “disease wise”, then that’s great!!! Seems the supply chain of fish has gone down hill in recent years. No matter if you choose to treat prophylactically or not, most fish these days have been exposed to some med, somewhere in the supply chain. Mostly sub therapeutic. I think that plays a role in these more resistant strains of velvet. You can observe forever if you want. Then throw any type of Acanthurus tang in the mix, and you will truly find out if you have anything in your tank pathogen wise. Copper is a poison, plane and simple. And a immunosuppressant at that. No doubt about it! I hate medicating, but sometimes it’s necessary. You’ll find folks that have had there tank wiped out one too many times. Usually only takes once. Those are the ones that tend to medicate no matter if a fish is symptomatic or not. Velvet isn’t something you want in your tank. But could be easily detected in the small confines of a Qt. Not that that’s your situation. And then you have the PaulB end of the spectrum. I personally never quarantined anything for the first 15 years of my Reefkeeping journey. I call myself lucky. I’ll take luck any day of the week though. For the last several years I’ve chosen to prophylactically treat everything. There’s plenty of accounts of fish living long healthy lives after meds. Some would say some meds like formalin can have long term affects and shorten a fishes lifespan. No clue if that’s true or not. That’s the great thing about this hobby. We all have choices. And there’s a million different opinions out there. It’s your choice.
Thank you so much for this response, super helpful!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back