Does temperature of water going into rodi unit affect the filters life??!

Does water temperature affect rodi filters ?

• Total voters

Justgottadiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently moved to Colorado from Florida. I’ve noticed that the tap water here is cold enough someone LITERALLY does not need ice lol.
In fact when the rodi was running at night to fill 100 g system (Total water volume). There was condensation on the unit. At just a hair under 80 psi and the in-going TDS at 112, I thought the filters would be ok.
I’m thinking that temperature is playing a huge part in ruining the DI resin from BRAND NEW to worse than I’d ever let my DI resin get before changing it.
Anyone know anything about this ?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the actual temp of supply water? Membranes are rated for optimal performance at a certain temperature, the low temp might be hampering performance and allowing solids through that are exhausting your DI prematurely.

OP
OP
Justgottadiy

Justgottadiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the actual temp of supply water? Membranes are rated for optimal performance at a certain temperature, the low temp might be hampering performance and allowing solids through that are exhausting your DI prematurely.
No I don’t know the actual temperature unfortunately. I can say when I stuck my hand in the water in the tank it was cold enough it almost kind of hurt a little.
thank you for this info though I’ll have to find a way to fix this problem.

SeaSickness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reverse osmosis membranes are rated for rejection rate and GPD, at temperatures around 75 to 77 degrees. So yes, the extreme cold temperature of your source water will negatively impact the efficiency of the RO membrane.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my understanding that product {good water) will be lower, but still removing (or should I say not allowing), the nasty stuff from getting through the membrane. Whatever you do, do not try to heat the water by mixing with hot water from your water heater.

As far as going through DI quicker, could be from other causes....as example, carbon dioxide in the raw water....common on well water.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I notice in winter is slow down of production, in winter my tap comes out between 35-45 degrees but beyond the slow down in production haven't noticed any issue with filters or DI, but my DI lasts so long so if its reducing life its not doing it big enough to notice.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colder temps effect the ability to produce at a higher rate. Meaning more rejection. When the water warms to the 70s the rejection rate will return to normal. Hotter water (110+) will shorten the life of the membrane

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could just be a bout of silicates , I just put a new unit online the other day and the DI gots trashed in a week worse than the same unit i ran for 4 years with no di change (still has color )

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I notice in winter is slow down of production, in winter my tap comes out between 35-45 degrees but beyond the slow down in production haven't noticed any issue with filters or DI, but my DI lasts so long so if its reducing life its not doing it big enough to notice.
+1

I have really cold water here in the winter also(35F measured out of the tap), only thing I notice is the decrease in production. I have not noticed any decrease in life of the filters.

OP
OP
Justgottadiy

Justgottadiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

I have really cold water here in the winter also(35F measured out of the tap), only thing I notice is the decrease in production. I have not noticed any decrease in life of the filters.
Ok. Well I’m not sure what’s going on then I’m moved here from Florida and nvr had this problem this is first time I’ve seen cold water going into rodi unit before and first time I’ve seen di resin get spent with 100 g of water

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I don't really think any of will be able to really help you either. But Russ will be able to help you out, and they have great CS, and are always willing to help out without trying to sell you something you really don't need.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't ever remember reading about low temp impacting expected life of membrane, only high temps. Suspect it's minimal because most run cold and see expected 2-3 years. Also suspect other factors impact more, periodic flushing, water impurities, prefilter performance.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back