Silly Question: RODI unit PSI - Should you pause making RODI when someone in the house is using the shower?

Pepper Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for answering my (silly) question!

I am wondering if it is a good idea to turn off the water flow to the RODI unit if someone in my home is taking a shower.
I ask because when the shower is on, the PSI on the RODI drops from 85 to 40psi

As I understand it from other threads on reef2reef, the higher pressure is more optimal, and helps the filters/resin work better
However even at the 40psi I am still getting 2 and 0 TDS readings

Does it not matter whatsoever to have both a shower and RODI on at the same time? Just a lot slower?
No impact on the water, no impact on the filter/resin longevity?
or should I avoid it whenever possible?

Much appreciated!

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive added a restrictor to the end of my RODI to ensure i always maintain 50psi head.

Upvote 0

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't make a difference but it kinda depends on what's happening with your water pressure when multuple faucets are opened. My house is pretty old and the water supply is a smallish copper tubing. If the hose is on in the garden or teh washing washing is running there's a noticable drop in pressure and it can be seen with my RO/DI. But as long as you're staying close to or above the design pressure of your RO/DI you're fine

Upvote 0

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, do you have a really old Shower Head? No noticeable pressure drop on ours, even with both showers running and the Dishwasher Running. Just the normal down to 36 and up to 56 for the well pump cycling. Also at the Shower, you can’t tell any pressure fluctuation, or temperature changes, even if the toilet is flushed. I would add a booster pump to your RO/DI to make it more efficient.

Upvote 0

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I am wondering if it is a good idea to turn off the water flow to the RODI unit if someone in my home is taking a shower.

As I understand it from other threads on reef2reef, the higher pressure is more optimal, and helps the filters/resin work better

Does it not matter whatsoever to have both a shower and RODI on at the same time? Just a lot slower?

Much appreciated!

This is an issue for a plumber, adding a booster pump is a bandaid. My guess is that your main supply line is 1/2 inch or you have a malfunctioning PRV (pressure reducing valve) somewhere (usually next to the main shut off to the home).
Leaning towards bad PRV.

1. 85 is above nominal operating pressure (though not significantly think 65 to80)

2. 45 psi is a huge drop. Which is why I think it's probably a bad PRV. If you had a half inch supply line, I don't think the truck would be that significant.

Do you have one of these next to your main shut off?
shopping

Upvote 0

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Much appreciated!
My house is built in 2000 and I experience the same thing. RODI pressure drops from 60 to 40 when someone is in the shower. I think about it like you do, but don’t stop the unit. It also still puts out the same TDS at 60 vs 40 for the brief time the shower is running.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pepper Reefer

Pepper Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate everyone weighing in!

I am on municipal water. As long as it isn't hurting the unit / longevity of the filters, I see no reason to intervene and add a booster or anything. As you guys pointed out, at 85 PSI (without the shower on) it's pretty much right at the recommended pressure of 80. I just worried that I was somehow doing harm to the unit - the resin - the valves - the filter membrane - the cartridges - something like that, where the sharp changes in pressure could be doing damage to the unit; but I suppose it's no different than turning the water on.

I see no need to add a booster just for when the shower is on (haha) - it is just slightly slower when someone is taking a shower; I just worried that over many, many conjunction uses it could be harmful, to where it would be more optimal for me to turn off the RODI when someone was taking a shower, and then turn it back on after. But it sounds like there's no problem whatsoever, just will be a little bit slower when someone is showering (which is no problem at all!)

Upvote 0

NoFeedback

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time frame is short enough that it is not worth worrying about the lesser efficiency during the shower period. If it make you feel better, set up a timer so that it only runs at night. There are smart hose timers available through the usual online sources.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.0%
Back