Does the FoxFace attack corals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dom

Theoretical Reef Keeper
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2016
Messages
7,849
Reaction score
8,300
Location
NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a FoxFace to my DT about 5 days ago, and I am noticing most of my Palys are closed up along with a bunch of Zoas. I did see the FoxFace pick at a Zoa frag, but I thought it may be going after some algae on the frag rack.

But after testing my parameters (Salinity 37, ALK 9.5, Calcium 490 pH 8), I can see that my suspicion may be correct.

Feedback?

Thank you,
Dom
 
They can, but usually don't. I have had to remove one out of about 5 over the years due to him acquiring a taste for fleshy LPS.

Okay... so you have experience with the FoxFace... good.

May I ask; how many time per day do you feed?
 
I just added a FoxFace to my DT about 5 days ago, and I am noticing most of my Palys are closed up along with a bunch of Zoas. I did see the FoxFace pick at a Zoa frag, but I thought it may be going after some algae on the frag rack.

But after testing my parameters (Salinity 37, ALK 9.5, Calcium 490 pH 8), I can see that my suspicion may be correct.

Feedback?

Thank you,
Dom
Foxfaces can go for zoas and palys. I’ve got 2 currently and have had 5-6 in total.
I’ve also got a Rabbitfish in with my 2 Foxfaces and all 3 have yet to go for coral.
My previous rabbits hadn’t gone for Coral however I also don’t keep Zoas as my angels are bound to just mow through them.
 
Foxfaces can go for zoas and palys. I’ve got 2 currently and have had 5-6 in total.
I’ve also got a Rabbitfish in with my 2 Foxfaces and all 3 have yet to go for coral.
My previous rabbits hadn’t gone for Coral however I also don’t keep Zoas as my angels are bound to just mow through them.
I also feed my current group anywhere from 1-5 times a day.
 
I feed mine twice plus nori algae to snack on! He grew like a weed and is the biggest fish I have! Bigger than my naso tang at the moment
 
I feed mine twice plus nori algae to snack on! He grew like a weed and is the biggest fish I have! Bigger than my naso tang at the moment
 
Our foxface ate some zoas when we first put them in, they went from about 15 heads to 6, then he stopped, we had some tank issues so they stayed at 6 heads for ages, sorted the issues and they've gone to around 20 heads in about 3 months and he hasn't touched them this time
 
Mines just started eating my cabbage leather polyps so it’s all brown at the edges now
 
I have seen them go after fleshy LPS and zoas before. Feeding multiple times per day can help, but once a fish has a taste for corals it’s pretty much impossible to get them to stop nibbling. Foxface are definitely “reef safe with caution”.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new