Does the return pump have to rest on the bottom of the sump?

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not exactly new but I still have n00b questions sometimes lol. Anyway I am setting up a new tank and the flexible hose plumbing is just a little too short (needs to be 1-2" longer), so the return pump isn't sitting on the floor of the sump, it's hanging from the hose. I will be getting a plastic hose clamp today to make sure it doesn't come loose.

Is it ok to hang like that? I remember this being no problem for a pump attached to, say, a HOB skimmer, but those pumps are much smaller and not powering the return to the tank...

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the pump to sit on the bottom or at least a small platform of something it would prob be best. I know in my sump, the level of water varies a little bit ( I havnt installed an ATO yet) so I keep the pump at the very bottom just to make sure if I have as much time to top off before it starts sucking air. Plus, if the return pump is of any size, they are generally fairly heavy. Hanging on your plumbing like that may not be the best idea? Dont want anything coming loose under your tank!
Maybe take a trip to your local hardware store and get a longer hose? They usually sell it by the foot at most places. Just my 0.02...

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine hanging of the hose like you , less noise than if it sits on the floor IMO .. but either way is good
Ive heard of people using a silicone pot holder under their pump for noise reduction/removal. Luckily my return pump came with little silicone legs on the bottom, so I didnt have to worry about that.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it doesn't create too much tention on fitting that they break. I've used silicone wine glass dry mats that do a great job of isolation the vibrations.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine hanging of the hose like you , less noise than if it sits on the floor IMO .. but either way is good

Yup! I do it purposefully in some of my tanks for this reason as well.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back