Does this cyano look infected?! Cyano question lol

JayFish4004

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
560
Reaction score
324
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red cyano that is not at crazy levels - currently just tries to proliferate between the glass and sand which looks ugly af but not terrible.

During my weekly water changes I use a baster to siphon out as much as I can, but it’s never enough and always comes right back to where it was.

It started when I let phosphates get out of whack which is now corrected. Nitrates are around 15ppm and phos is 0.03ish ppm.

Is there an end in sight or do I need to take a different approach than siphoning? Limiting nutrients any further is out of question - nutrients are gonna be where they gonna be from here :)
 
Consider either redirecting your flow, or adding more flow. Anything you can do to aim it at the area where you are getting cyano will help.
 
I’ve battled this off and on for the last several years. It’s been told to me that it’s reflection of the aquariums lights off the glass and down into the sand bed and the fact that there is no flow through the front of the sand against the glass. Always just comes and goes for me.
 
I’ve battled this off and on for the last several years. It’s been told to me that it’s reflection of the aquariums lights off the glass and down into the sand bed and the fact that there is no flow through the front of the sand against the glass. Always just comes and goes for me.
Part of me almost wonders if I should let it go but I also just went through a minicrash so keeping experimentation to a minimum haha
 
Cyano is way more about flow and nutrients than about light.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new