Does this cyano look infected?! Cyano question lol

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red cyano that is not at crazy levels - currently just tries to proliferate between the glass and sand which looks ugly af but not terrible.

During my weekly water changes I use a baster to siphon out as much as I can, but it’s never enough and always comes right back to where it was.

It started when I let phosphates get out of whack which is now corrected. Nitrates are around 15ppm and phos is 0.03ish ppm.

Is there an end in sight or do I need to take a different approach than siphoning? Limiting nutrients any further is out of question - nutrients are gonna be where they gonna be from here :)

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider either redirecting your flow, or adding more flow. Anything you can do to aim it at the area where you are getting cyano will help.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve battled this off and on for the last several years. It’s been told to me that it’s reflection of the aquariums lights off the glass and down into the sand bed and the fact that there is no flow through the front of the sand against the glass. Always just comes and goes for me.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve battled this off and on for the last several years. It’s been told to me that it’s reflection of the aquariums lights off the glass and down into the sand bed and the fact that there is no flow through the front of the sand against the glass. Always just comes and goes for me.
Part of me almost wonders if I should let it go but I also just went through a minicrash so keeping experimentation to a minimum haha

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is way more about flow and nutrients than about light.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back