Does this fish look healthy?

nonstopfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start this with a simple question...

Do the pictures below look like a fish that was eating everyday for the last few weeks?

20160223-IMG_8167.jpg

20160223-IMG_8169.jpg

20160223-IMG_8163.jpg

OP
OP
nonstopfish

nonstopfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should note, yes it's obviously dead, so no it is not healthy right now. I am more talking the appearance and what is wrong with it.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the fish pulled and pics taking immediately after passing? It is pretty emaciated, but like Humblefish said, it could have been from not eating hardly at all or an internal parasite.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you slice his gut open, and drop the body in FW (tap is fine for a dead fish); you should notice tiny white worms coming out of him if he has internal parasites.

Of course, you will want to be squared away first with the online vendor before doing anything to damage the fish's body.

OP
OP
nonstopfish

nonstopfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish showed up today from a vendor. Right out of the box he looked like this...

IMG_2559.JPG

Was vertical or upside down. Couldn't really move. Discolored with what looks light dusting of fungus on his body. Gills and face were bright red. Scratching/scaring in picture two in first post left of the gills/organs. Cheeks are sunken, can see his spine the whole way, body as flat as his tail, completely emanciated.

Yes, the above pictures are right after death. The vendor claims the fish has been eating everyday in his care for over two weeks and was completely healthy.

Vendor also denies any wrong doing and will not refund/replace, says I am trying to scam him. That fish should have been acclimated immediately upon receipt and not after work, which it was still breathing slightly but never moved in the acclimation bucket and obviously was dead before ever going into the QT.

There is much more to this story which I will eventually disclose along with the vendor.

If I cut the fish open after freezing would I still be able to see the worms? Fish is already being frozen/frozen.

OP
OP
nonstopfish

nonstopfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This suggests ammonia burn, as does the cloudy looking water in the bag. Was the bag leaking or had a tiny hole in it somewhere?

Water actually wasn't really that cloudy at all. It did smell though. No leaks in the bag. Was actually shipped in a lot of water.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water actually wasn't really that cloudy at all. It did smell though. No leaks in the bag. Was actually shipped in a lot of water.

Hopefully they make it right for you. It sounds like this fish never even had a chance.

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish showed up today from a vendor. Right out of the box he looked like this...

IMG_2559.JPG

Was vertical or upside down. Couldn't really move. Discolored with what looks light dusting of fungus on his body. Gills and face were bright red. Scratching/scaring in picture two in first post left of the gills/organs. Cheeks are sunken, can see his spine the whole way, body as flat as his tail, completely emanciated.

Yes, the above pictures are right after death. The vendor claims the fish has been eating everyday in his care for over two weeks and was completely healthy.

Vendor also denies any wrong doing and will not refund/replace, says I am trying to scam him. That fish should have been acclimated immediately upon receipt and not after work, which it was still breathing slightly but never moved in the acclimation bucket and obviously was dead before ever going into the QT.

There is much more to this story which I will eventually disclose along with the vendor.

If I cut the fish open after freezing would I still be able to see the worms? Fish is already being frozen/frozen.
OMG that looks awful.

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing how the vender is on this forum you might want to report them to the moderator.

jrlevn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PayPal will not cover live animals. I have had several claims and it never works out. You can dispute successfully with your credit card company or bank associated with PayPal

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back