Does this Pump Exist?

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday my pump for my chiller randomly stopped working. When I pulled it out to inspect it, I noticed there was rust developing on some of its parts! So I will not be putting that back in my tank.

I was wondering if there were any pumps that can operate out of the water but have pipes connecting to them such that I can have a pipe in the tank attached to the in take part of the pump, have the out take pipe of the pump go straight to my chiller's intake, and have my chillers out take distribute the water back into the tank?

Or are there any reliable pumps that could work with a chiller that are 100% potentially rusting free?

Could I get a pipe that fits my pumps intake and then just clamp it on the intake and do what I am talking about?

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rust shouldn't affect your water chemistry at least i dont think so, if thats what your worried about. Isnt some media basically the same chemical structure as rust? Ferric Oxide, Iron (III) Oxide?

Last edited:

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a bubble blaster HY-1000s for my recirc pump on my water changing station it can be run internall or externally and has standard pvc couplings. Not sure if that would work for you. There are probably a few metal pieces for things the the impellor shaft but most of it is plastic. Would something like that work? This one has been configured for a skimmer but you can just take of the air inlet piece and screw the end right on to a pvc fitting, This is what I did.

HY1000S.jpg

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rust shouldn't affect your water chemistry at least i dont think so, if thats what your worried about. Isnt some media basically the same chemical structure as rust? Ferric Oxide, Iron (III) Oxide?

I honestly do not know the chemistry side of it. I have read about people losing lots of their live stock due to a screw or something that fell in the back of their tank and rusted. Perhaps it is harmless. But the pump is broken anyways, so I figured I might as well get one that is less likely to rust.

I use a bubble blaster HY-1000s for my recirc pump on my water changing station it can be run internall or externally and has standard pvc couplings. Not sure if that would work for you. There are probably a few metal pieces for things the the impellor shaft but most of it is plastic. Would something like that work? This one has been configured for a skimmer but you can just take of the air inlet piece and screw the end right on to a pvc fitting, This is what I did.

HY1000S.jpg

This might work, I will look it up. I use, not sure what they are called, clear pipes that can bend. So it needs to be adaptable to those.

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound dumb but when I was hooking up my RO/DI and my Circ pump for my mixing station I found basically every fitting / conversion I needed in the gradening section where you find sprinklers and garden hoses. I looked FOREVER in the pvc / metal fittings and found nothing till the gardening section of Ace hardware. Just an idea if you go hunting for little plastic pieces that make things fit.

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might work, I will look it up. I use, not sure what they are called, clear pipes that can bend. So it needs to be adaptable to those.[/QUOTE]

So I assume the chiller pump had barbed fittings or something similar? If this is the case since the bubble blaster can take standard pipe fitting you could probably get a barbed adapter to thread onto the pump.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound dumb but when I was hooking up my RO/DI and my Circ pump for my mixing station I found basically every fitting / conversion I needed in the gradening section where you find sprinklers and garden hoses. I looked FOREVER in the pvc / metal fittings and found nothing till the gardening section of Ace hardware. Just an idea if you go hunting for little plastic pieces that make things fit.

DIY is awesome, if it works how you want it to,haha!

This might work, I will look it up. I use, not sure what they are called, clear pipes that can bend. So it needs to be adaptable to those.

So I assume the chiller pump had barbed fittings or something similar? If this is the case since the bubble blaster can take standard pipe fitting you could probably get a barbed adapter to thread onto the pump.[/QUOTE]

Yea, barbed fittings. True. I will be going to my LFS today and if I find nothing there, I will go shopping online.

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on the size of your tank you can use a drop in chiller then you wont need to worry about the pump anymore. I went from a teco inline to a aqualogic drop in chiller

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 66 gallons. But I already have the chiller and it is practically brand new.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 164 73.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 38 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back