Does this seem normal for a BTA?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
About a month ago, I purchased a rose BTA for my aquarium (my second attempt). Though I know the basics for caring for them, I’m still a beginner when it comes to understanding every little detail. Recently, I’ve noticed that the anemone has been stretching outwards, looking more and more like a leather coral, with its foot resembling a long stem. Is this a sign of anything potentially bad, or is it just getting ready to move by stretching its foot out?
5E39B347-8242-4A7D-960B-C1351BFEF114.jpeg
9C7A1F69-3D38-4E73-8B40-331E59F37B66.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s somewhat normal. They like to put their foot in a hole (they prefer this so they can retract back into it if threatened). But it’s stretching out like that because it wants more light. Based purely on the photos, it looks like your lighting isn’t intense enough for an anemone. What kind of lighting do you have?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s somewhat normal. They like to put their foot in a hole (they prefer this so they can retract back into it if threatened). But it’s stretching out like that because it wants more light. Based purely on the photos, it looks like your lighting isn’t intense enough for an anemone. What kind of lighting do you have?
Yeah, about that…I can’t even remember what kind of light I have.
When I started this tank, I tried to keep it as cheap as possible, so bought this third party budget light. It worked for the corals, but I think at this point I need to upgrade.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is stretching out for more light. Mine did that when it moved to a different spot that was near an overhang. Eventually it moved to a better spot and returned to normal. I didn’t modify lighting.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back