Does Triton have a method for nanos?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about it and for small tanks where a good refugium or skimmer may not be possible is there a recommendation on how to best setup such a system?
In other words is the Triton method only really usable on systems large enough to have well rounded filtration and a larger water volume?

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Keith,

Good question- it seems challenging..In theory, I suppose it could work. In practice, the amount of variables that you are attempting to counter are many. The issue with nano tanks in general is that, being a small body of water, you have environmental fluctuations that occur with great rapidity. Evaporation, metabolite accumulation, utilization of available trace elements, etc. pose challenges to maintaining a stable environment.

I think the Triton "method" could work, at least in terms of monitoring and maintaining trace element levels is concerned. The nutrient export mechanisms employed would be a challenge...With a macro algae-based refugium and use of activated carbon and GFO, you can affect nutrient export. The Triton "method" does not incorporate water changes as a means of limiting variables in the system. On the other hand, variables are part of Nano tank management. Larger Triton systems would incorporate a refugium..is a refugium practical in a nano? Possibly. The other key component is to keep the population of animals manageable.

I'd love to see some experiments here!

If anyone is running a nano with the Triton "method", we'd be interested to hear what you have to say.

Thanks,

Scott

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back