Does Vibrant work to get rid of unwanted algae?

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently ran about a 6 week cycle of Vibrant starting with the bottle recommended dose, then after an e-mail to vibrant they recommended a 1 oz dose every other day for three weeks to start. This killed off the Bubble Algae, and green hair algae, however it did not touch the Briopsis, there was a slight die off of Brio but not what I expected. I was away on a business trip and returned to a tank full of Cyano and green hair algae and decided to discontinue use. That was Oct 1, I have good water quality, and low nitrate so I have not done any water changes except about 75 gallons from the treatment for the Cynao at the end of Oct. I have not used Vibrant since. So does it work? Yes are there unintended consequences in my opinion Yes. It seemed like it could be a solution in bad situations.

Been using for about six months, absolutely no I’ll effects, I had turf algae, tons of bubble algae, even some funky looking algae that no one could identify, all 100% gone, I went by the dosage for two weeks, small amounts of die off, then read a fellow reefer whom was dosing every four days, I tried that and that seemed to kill everything algae, even all coralline algae!! Did that for another month then decreased it, now I do the biweekly dose, if I remember!, but I still dose to keep my coralline under control on my back glass and on my sandless bottom, one thing is that all that die off creates allot of excess nutrients, nitrates will creep up and if ur carbon dosing, a whitish heavy bacteria film can easily form if ur not checking ur parameters!!

Lifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had bubble algae all over the tank Used it according to the instructions and eventually all was gone Took all together several months for it to be effective but I'm very pleased with it. No ill effects whatsoever on anything else! Very happy customer

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hmmmm- very interesting. Think i'll buy a bottle- nothing to lose

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it affect the pod population. I dose phytoplankton for them. Someone on one of these threads mentioned it took all algae off his glass which in turn killed off the pods. Thoughts?

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For cyano use chemiclean. Won't affect the chaeto. I had a terrible case of bubble algae and in my 50g cube. Here it is after Vibrant dosed every week for 1 month with weekly 50% water changes.

IMG_5996.JPG

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve convinced me to try it. Should I turn off my UV sterilizer? What kind of water change schedule do they recommend?

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. I use it weekly when I do a water change but I don't have a refugium cause I do a 50% water change weekly. If you have a refugium you need to remove all the macro algae cause this will dissolve it. I would let it run in your system replenishing the dosage weekly then do a 30% water change every week for 3 weeks. Then reintroduce the macro.

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant worked well but, in addition to my pod population, I also lost all of my tube worms and sponges during treatment...

Thjhiggins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is great but Fluconazole is my goto if I ever get bryopsis outbreaks. It's cheaper since it's an over the counter anti fungal medicine and, in my opinion, works faster. You just have to make sure you get the capsule form. That said, tank looks awesome!
I heard that fluconazole kills just about anything. I have a coral only tank with a few snails but caulerpa "B" is springing out of the rocks and growing straight through colonies of Zoas, Mushrooms, etc. I got the bottle of capsules to dissolve in water but am terrified it will kill of all types of corals.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.5%
Back