Does Vibrant work to get rid of unwanted algae?

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed for 3 months for bubble algae...sadly had zero effect at all on it, took out the Halimeda and a bit of Hair Algae i had...after stopping dosing the Halimeda has not returned but the bit of Hair Algae has

Poured it down the sink in the end to avoid the temptation of dosing as every time i dosed my Setosa and Organ Pipes would retract their polyps and slowly over the three months i noticed the general look and health of the tank declining which turned back around after ceasing its use

Most people have great success with the Vibrant though...just trying to learn to love the look of my Sea Pea's instead of battling them now

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldn't Carbon dosing produce the same effect?? im reading these experiences and see the same experiences with pe ople who sugar dose and vodka or NOPOX dose

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are chaeto, halimeda and caulerpa the only macros killed?... I also have codium and gracilaria...

THX1138CY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant works wonders for killing the Algae. I use it for major outbreaks. My only complaint is that it wipes out the food source for pods and your pods will die soon after. This tells me it completely breaks tank life cycle at that point. You MUST do W/C's and reseed the pods after your done with treatment for an outbreak to repair that, or your system will continue to be out of balance and you will have other issues. Don't get me wrong Vibrant works, I just think this information needs to be plastered on the bottle as part of the instructions for those of us who want to keep our tanks cycles intact long term. I'd also recommend switching refugium macro from chaeto to grape/caulerpa as it seems to withstand Vibrant.

Last edited:

Deedles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are chaeto, halimeda and caulerpa the only macros killed?... I also have codium and gracilaria...

My gracilaria seems to be doing fine with using just the maintenance dose every couple of weeks.

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant works wonders for killing the Algae. I use it for major outbreaks. My only complaint is that it wipes out the food source for pods and your pods will die soon after. This tells me it completely breaks tank life cycle at that point. You MUST do W/C's and reseed the pods after your done with treatment for an outbreak to repair that, or your system will continue to be out of balance and you will have other issues. Don't get me wrong Vibrant works, I just think this information needs to be plastered on the bottle as part of the instructions for those of us who want to keep our tanks cycles intact long term. I'd also recommend switching refugium macro from chaeto to grape/caulerpa as it seems to withstand Vibrant.
so far my fuge is super full of pods. I went to dosing once a week and the little bit of cheato seems to be coming back.

THX1138CY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so far my fuge is super full of pods. I went to dosing once a week and the little bit of cheato seems to be coming back.
I took about 3 weeks for my pods to starve and die out, it was not overnight, If yours do live, I'd like to know how/what you've seeded your tank with rock/mud/fudge wise.

Metasyntactic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is great but Fluconazole is my goto if I ever get bryopsis outbreaks. It's cheaper since it's an over the counter anti fungal medicine and, in my opinion, works faster. You just have to make sure you get the capsule form. That said, tank looks awesome!

jon99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that Vibrant works, and works well.
I had/still have some sort of turf algae. It krept in over time but quickly got out of hand to the point where I was considering removing the aquascaping and treating with hydrogen peroxide (this also works, but removing aquascaping isn’t fun and not without risk to coral, and this usually has to be repeated several times).

After a couple months of treatment (2X per week) Vibrant made a significant improvement... photos below. I did end up with cyano outbreak on the sand as a result of the treatment and had to stop dosing for a couple weeks, but I’m back at it now, slowly eradicating the pest. Still not 100% cleared and I’m having to syphone cyano from the sandbed, but that is cake compared to pulling turf algae with tweezers.

Overall, I’m very happy this product exists as an effective tool in the toolbox. I have to say it’s the best purchase I have made for my reef in a long time.

upload_2018-6-19_19-26-24.jpeg

upload_2018-6-19_19-27-23.jpeg

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it kill or hurt SPS? Do you need to remove carbon or turn off skimmer?

A.grant 22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always put a tangs in my frag tank for a couple weeks to combat the hair algae. I’ll definitely look more this product thanks for the information

dewy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
took care of my bubble algae issue in my 200 gal sps dominate tank. I had a ton of bubble algae so I was dosing a lot of vibrant and didn't lose a single coral.

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently ran about a 6 week cycle of Vibrant starting with the bottle recommended dose, then after an e-mail to vibrant they recommended a 1 oz dose every other day for three weeks to start. This killed off the Bubble Algae, and green hair algae, however it did not touch the Briopsis, there was a slight die off of Brio but not what I expected. I was away on a business trip and returned to a tank full of Cyano and green hair algae and decided to discontinue use. That was Oct 1, I have good water quality, and low nitrate so I have not done any water changes except about 75 gallons from the treatment for the Cynao at the end of Oct. I have not used Vibrant since. So does it work? Yes are there unintended consequences in my opinion Yes. It seemed like it could be a solution in bad situations.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back