Does Vibrant work to get rid of unwanted algae?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I can't believe it. I spent a lot of hours with my kids cleaning algae I wish I would have done it a lot sooner. Only draw bag is my cheato died as well but that's no biggie at all. So many pictures ruined by algae!!!

20180315-DSC_0602.jpg

20180315-DSC_0600.jpg

20180315-DSC_0599.jpg

20180315-DSC_0586.jpg

How did it work on that algae that sticks to the glass, like in the highlighted photos?

I don't have a problem with algae growing in the tank, but the glass is another story.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I can't believe it. I spent a lot of hours with my kids cleaning algae I wish I would have done it a lot sooner. Only draw bag is my cheato died as well but that's no biggie at all. So many pictures ruined by algae!!!

20180315-DSC_0602.jpg

20180315-DSC_0600.jpg

20180315-DSC_0599.jpg

20180315-DSC_0586.jpg
So take chaeto out and return how long after dosing?

nvert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I SWEAR it worked on my tank too. I dosed a hair algae covered tank almost 2 years ago (after trying phosphate reactor, new lights, algae eating crew, etc) and I've been algae free ever since. I was at wits end but Vibrant kicked the algae's butt big time.

cwiggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think this would work on Cyano?
I don’t think it works on cyano. Even believe I read in some forum that after dosing Vibrant for awhile, folks were seeing cyano appear. Not sure though!
I will forever be a fan of Vibrant though!!! Killed my bubble algae takeover!

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had hair/turf algae. This stuff works. You don’t have to clean your glass off nearly as often either.

I don’t use gfo, or carbon. Just heavy skimming, 100 micron filter socks, and now a maintenance dose of vibrant. Oh, I also do a 10% WC every 4-8 weeks, no algae.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant worked at eliminating my bubble and hair algae. It did not work on the Bryopsis that I had. I had to use Fluconazole to get rid of the Bryopsis. I did get a Cyano outbreak while using the Vibrant product. Wasn't a big deal. It did make my water clearer.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't work for me. Been dosing it about four months now in attempt to get rid of bubble algae in one of my systems. Best I can tell it hasn't made a dent... maybe slowed the spread, but I've got bubbles that have been in there so long that they are growing coralline on them. If it works on hair and bryopsis, I don't think it's as fast acting as fluconazole, but glad that it's working for you!

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really is a miracle product. I just don't understand what its doing.
It is not a medication like Fluco, but actually a blend of bacteria that outcompete algae for food (this is what I was told). I had the dreaded bitchful Bryopsis and Valonia. Yes, it took more than four weeks to destroy but it did work and not a speck of it exists. Now I just do maintenance doses of Vibrant and tank has never looked better. Hats off to them big time!!!

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using for a month now, not much gha but that thick tuff algae in places even that reddish hair algae, dosed once a week for the first two weeks, got rid of all the gha and the turf now I’ve been dosing every four days and seen a huge decrease in my bubble algae, amazing stuff, no ill effects to my corals, when I would spot dose with n2o2 my zoas would instantly retract, with this stuff they stay out and brighten up, not sure how long the effects will last, I think I got bubble algae from new snails and from then on it multiply like crazy, almost to the point where new Rock wasn’t out of the question !!

shaun1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it last year on bubble algae and it does take a while to eliminate all of them. It took around 3 month of dosing but got rid of every last bubble in the end. It also killed my Cheeto but a small price to pay.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It completely destroyed my bubble algae, but also caused my macroalgae (Chaetomorpha, Halymenia) to die. If you're not careful about stepping up nutrient export, the dying nuisance algae and macroalgae will usually fuel cyano. It's probably best practice to remove as much algae before dosing so you don't end up with a large increase in nutrients.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back