Does your reef hobby help you beat the wintertime blues?

Jw258

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the UV in my lighting helps with SAD as I get more UV than I would ordinarily, especially when working from home next to the tank.

Lindaanne60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes when it’s snowing out I have my own tropical paradise! Love it

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the UK at this time of year its dark by 4.30pm.
Draw the curtains and watch the tank from time to time until 6.30pm when the whites go off and I get a hit of full blues. This tank has been running for over 7 yr and I still smile when I see the greens and reds pop. Definately helps.

Reckless

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without all the outdoor activities to distract me, this is the time of year my tank gets the most attention. My glass never looks so clean, my fish have never eaten so frequently, my filter socks are changed regularly and you can set your watch with my water change schedule. For me this hobby was made for the winter.

UK softy bloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say this time of year is hard on a lot of people, especially wintertime after Christmas. Do you find your reef hobby to be of help? What in particular is helpful for you? Is it the reef itself? Your reef community (local club, Reef2Reef friends, etc.)? Or other parts of the hobby?

UK softy bloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say this time of year is hard on a lot of people, especially wintertime after Christmas. Do you find your reef hobby to be of help? What in particular is helpful for you? Is it the reef itself? Your reef community (local club, Reef2Reef friends, etc.)? Or other parts of the hobby?
My living room would be so dark and boring at this time of year if I didn't have my reef tank. I think I get my winter tan from the light overspill as I sit next to it every evening.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always loved the winter .
starting a new career last summer has caused me to drive almost 2 hours to and from each day .
driving both directions in the dark gets to you after awhile ….
That being said . When I’m home watching the reef helps with hours of relaxing

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure is nice having a piece of the ocean in your living room. Especially in the winter.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love coming home to my tank every day - That is when it’s not all dying off and going through a huge die off for no apparent reason. It really helps during winter because you just know whilst it’s cold outside the fish are nice and warm, calming you down.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back