Does your stand have any wood overhanging?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Truthfully I should’ve centered my tank directly in the middle of the stand instead of matching it up perfectly in the front and leaving a gap on the sides/back when I set it up. Does anyone else’s tank line up perfectly with their stand (without a rim) and you’ve had it for years with no issues? I’m just wondering because I know overhang of a tank on a surface is very bad.
A5F315B0-A4E6-4C5C-8F83-0BC22F4CF47D.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every stand i have ever built has a “lip” of at least 2” around the top of the stand. I just build the stands to support the tank where it needs to be supported and make the top larger, so I have a place to set things.

Even designed a stand for a friend that had a large enough lip on the front for her to walk on and support her when she did walk on it lol.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as there isn’t tank overhanging the stand you should be good to go! I always build my stand with overhang like the previous person mentioned. It’s nice to be able to set test kits, nets, ect next to the tank. I actually just finished mine today!
128FAD61-ED0C-4898-B5CA-E574CDA462C4.jpeg
I like that!! True…I will say Waterbox and other aquarium stands that are sold together due to liability don’t have any extra wood to create this modern look so it must work longterm somehow!

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as there isn’t tank overhanging the stand you should be good to go! I always build my stand with overhang like the previous person mentioned. It’s nice to be able to set test kits, nets, ect next to the tank. I actually just finished mine today!
I love the side door.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truthfully I should’ve centered my tank directly in the middle of the stand instead of matching it up perfectly in the front and leaving a gap on the sides/back when I set it up. Does anyone else’s tank line up perfectly with their stand (without a rim) and you’ve had it for years with no issues? I’m just wondering because I know overhang of a tank on a surface is very bad.
A5F315B0-A4E6-4C5C-8F83-0BC22F4CF47D.jpeg
Those "naked" edges are perfect to hit by accident and cause a tank failure. The fact that they are beveled is helpful, but a small child playing with a metal toy could put a chip in the edge that could eventually cause a pane failure.

Not to worry you, but if you can protect these edges I would.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LIke the stand! any chance of getting of afew shots with the doors open from all angles....I would like to take it the the local craftsman and copy it if thats oki...
It would be alot easier than me trying to explain it cheers

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those "naked" edges are perfect to hit by accident and cause a tank failure. The fact that they are beveled is helpful, but a small child playing with a metal toy could put a chip in the edge that could eventually cause a pane failure.

Not to worry you, but if you can protect these edges I would.
I don’t have any kids in my house and there have never been nor will there ever be any little kids in my room with this tank. But I do get your point.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any kids in my house and there have never been nor will there ever be any little kids in my room with this tank. But I do get your point.
I am glad to know this. I get so sad when I see people who have a chip or a crack from hitting the edges. Happens often when people are moving, and sadly it is preventable if people are careful. I'm clumsy myself, so I just have acrylic and deal with the scratches that those get. :)

Mrtakeoff53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that!! True…I will say Waterbox and other aquarium stands that are sold together due to liability don’t have any extra wood to create this modern look so it must work longterm somehow!
Yeah, the stand/tank combos seem the sell them with no overhang. It must work or they wouldn’t sell them! I’m sure your tank will be good!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back