Dominate but smaller clownfish

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know the dominate clownfish should be the larger of the pair but clownfish are derps so maybe exceptions exist?

I have had these two clownfish for over half a year. I bought a clownfish pair but one arrived DOA so I went to petco and just bought the tiniest clownfish they had. I quarantined them and then introduced them to the same tank together.
They quickly buddied up and are inseparable. They won’t roam individually, are constantly checking if together.
It was obviously early on which one was more dominate. Classic behavior with the larger one showing she’s boss.
But the problem is that the submissive clownfish has being growing in size faster than she has.
She is very clearly the dominate one, always makes him know his place and he submits with his belly. Sometimes he seems to get annoyed by her antics and nips back but she easily beats him up for it. So I have this submissive clownfish that went from being smaller to now being clearly larger, has no interest in being the dominate clownfish and rarely will get his fins nipped up if he doesn’t wiggle right away.
My question is when would they gain their sex, and how to tell? In the scenario they already are female and male. Will the male stay male if there is already a female even if he is larger?

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know the dominate clownfish should be the larger of the pair but clownfish are derps so maybe exceptions exist?

I have had these two clownfish for over half a year. I bought a clownfish pair but one arrived DOA so I went to petco and just bought the tiniest clownfish they had. I quarantined them and then introduced them to the same tank together.
They quickly buddied up and are inseparable. They won’t roam individually, are constantly checking if together.
It was obviously early on which one was more dominate. Classic behavior with the larger one showing she’s boss.
But the problem is that the submissive clownfish has being growing in size faster than she has.
She is very clearly the dominate one, always makes him know his place and he submits with his belly. Sometimes he seems to get annoyed by her antics and nips back but she easily beats him up for it. So I have this submissive clownfish that went from being smaller to now being clearly larger, has no interest in being the dominate clownfish and rarely will get his fins nipped up if he doesn’t wiggle right away.
My question is when would they gain their sex, and how to tell? In the scenario they already are female and male. Will the male stay male if there is already a female even if he is larger?
All clowns are born males. Like,if you buy two clownfish while they start off as the same sex, one will eventually morph after the more dominant one becomes the female and the weaker one will become the male. It is normal that they may fight.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back