Dom's Biocube 29 build (HQI).

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I was going to hold off for a while on a new tank since I just switched over to my 20h. I got a killer deal on a Biocube 29 off craigslist's list. For the money it could not be passed up. I got the stand/tank/halide light $100. Spent 3-4 hours cleaning it and got it pretty clean. Will need to do some repair on the back wall as the silicon is coming off. No problem. Came with a HQI metal halide lighting. I also need to figure out how to get varnish off the aquarium rim. Looks like they tried to varnish the stand with the tank still on the stand. Oh well. One mans trash is another mans treasure. I'm going to make this something real nice. A little elbow grease and some time has already paid off.

Anyone know how to remove the varnish off the bottom plastic rim on the tank? Without damaging the plastic itself.

Stay tuned for more progress.

75f3920dd2a0fbcd91937c3a51e8eb1b.jpg
d71d9661d2c3e86c2692ef6bc70392d2.jpg

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. The varnish did not look nice to me, even after I touched it up. So I decided that it was just better to paint. I sanded it down with a sanding block with 120 grit and moved up to 220 to finished. Got the gloss off pretty much and flattened the wood nicely. I went with a matte finish and did it with a roller. Still need to paint the cracks and crevices, but the paint looks nice. Very happy with this. I took a pic of the rim and had it matched as best as we could.
8df842b847fc50eea91710407f361e1a.jpg

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to do a couple more coats of paint on the stand. I need to wait for my silicon to fully cure, so I am going to give it a week or so. Has anyone noticed that coraline algae etched their back wall (Weir)? I cant really seem to get it fully removed off the wall.

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paint dry and comparing it to the rim of the biocube. I say it matches pretty well. I have to thank the Home Depot guy for mixing it.

IMG_6023.JPG

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After checking out the fit of my light, I noticed that it was not going to work with the little ribs on the back of the HQI tank, these had to be removed. I used a hack saw without the handle. I could cut with the handle for only the first 2 ribs. After that the handle got in the way and I could not reach it. Sanded it down a bit afterwards to flatten it out and give the AI mount a flush wall to hold it.

IMG_6025.JPG

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some leaking in the back, so did a quick silicon job on it to repair. Silicon looks like it has more bumps, but I have noticed it smoothed out already. I am worried it will leak into the display portion from chamber 2-3 and mess up my ATO. Better safe than sorry, but here comes another 2-3 days of wait for it to cure.

IMG_6035.thumb.JPG.93378d9de0693fd19c5dc8d700fb1b72.JPG

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to finally leak test. Had a drop leak from chamber 3 into display. I cut the silicon and reapplied. So another day or so and another leak test.

Got to put the tank on the stand for the first time since I painted. It matches perfectly. Very happy I went this router instead of trying to fix the varnish.

IMG_6036.JPG

IMG_6037.JPG

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. Did a water check. Still some water from the 3rd chamber. Was not really bad but I decided to just cut it again and reseal. I am not in a terrible hurry to get it done as I will probably wait till I am back from my trip to switch it over. Holds water though. I did notice the plastic was not fully flush. I am starting to get worried about the tank a bit cause of this. It's just the plastic it seems. It sags in the middle a bit.

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to sanding the back wall a bit. Not too much, just trying to remove some of the pitting that coralline left on there. It's not fully gone, but it's getting better. Can't really notice it with water in it unless you look closely at it.

I am just trying to keep busy while my silicon dries. Will touch up my paint on my stand as well. Few things to come in the mail. Waiting for my skimmer and my new pump.

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't stop the leaking in back. So I stripped off the silicon and will be reapplying the whole side. I noticed there is a pretty large gap between the glass and wall. About 3 mm.

IMG_6044.JPG

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to do a couple more coats of paint on the stand. I need to wait for my silicon to fully cure, so I am going to give it a week or so. Has anyone noticed that coraline algae etched their back wall (Weir)? I cant really seem to get it fully removed off the wall.

Soak the whole tank with citric acid water (you can buy citric acid powder at Amazon). This way is cheaper than vinegar and smells way much better

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the whole side of my tank, so I am going to give it a week or so to fully cure, maybe even more. I am going away next week, so I am going to hold off on using it till I get this squared away.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back