OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. Decided while I waited, I would break in my skimmer in my current tank. It fits pretty well in my 20h.

I have to admit. This is a pretty decent little skimmer. I can't believe that it's producing yellow skim mate within about 9-10hours of running (can't really see it in pics, but you can see the froth). I adjusted the bubble height now and it should give me a darker skim mate. I did give this a good cleaning before hand, everything was wiped, brushed and reassembled. Right at start up I had a ton of micro bubbles. I have also noticed that the micro bubbles have significantly slowed down between then and now (last night and today) There are still a few, but it's about 90% less. YOU MUST do the air line mod, the gurgling is too much unless you have some much louder running in the background. The build quality is ok, not great, but not bad. I can see it lasting for a while. Upon taking it apart I noticed that it's really only about 15 or so total parts. I like keeping it simple, less to fiddle with.

All in all for the money, the skimmer is great. There are better options, I know, but this fits the bill perfectly for my setup. I can't see anything really wrong with it. That is of course if you do the air line mod. Ohhh. Maybe the how tight the collection cup is on the skimmer. When I try to remove it, I have to hold the skimmer body so it's not pulled out of the water. Only down side...

52416700546__0B88D5EB-07B3-4AE7-AD66-D59D6F5918D2.JPG

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a better shot of the froth this thing produces. Bubble line is just at the start of the neck. I can't not be more pleased with this little skimmer ATM. Unless it did my dishes and shined my floors. Haha.

IMG_6048.JPG

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Eagle has landed.......Please forgive my dust storm and the rocks, those loose smaller rocks in the front will be going into the filter area. I took out about a quarter of my sand, maybe a bit more. I did not want to go too deep with the sand bed, it just did not look nice to me. Aqualife 115 in the rear chamber. Using some stock biocube filters and some floss to clear up the water.

IMG_6057.JPG.4832436bbf8645de0cfa339d51062625.JPG

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2. Still some junk in the water from my sand bed move. Looking clearer though. Thinking of a big water change before I leave for my trip.

IMG_6059.JPG

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with a HQI, do you guys use the glass too? I can't believe how much of a temp difference between running it with the lid on. Even using LEDs. I can even imagine how hot it gets with a 150w halide on it.

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after running topless for a week, I decided that I needed to find a different solution. I ended up using some clips that came with my rimless tank to prop the glass lid about 3/4" around to allow more air to vent. The reasoning behind this is my cats. They were planning and practicing jumping from my couch to the top of my tank. I might try cutting a hole in the glass itself to vent and also have feeding access. Tank is doing well. I tore apart a stock filter and cut some pads myself. I just rotate and replace every few days. I leave one open though. This will allow the water to flow and still keep the water level in chamber 2-3. If not my ATO fills up once the filter gets clogged.

IMG_6295.JPG

IMG_6292.JPG

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, condensation worked its way to the top rim and dripped out the tank again from the top. This only happens with the lid on. I am going to have to think of another way to cover this and vent it enough to not have the condensation build up so much.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@cromag08 might be able to help you out. Does quality work! Maybe at least give you some ideas for a solution.

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved the clips a bit more and found a new way for it to sit. This allows the whole lid to sit about an inch to 1.5" above the top, which also allows it to vent enough. I have had it on all day and last night and there has been no condensation on the glass lid at all. Tank is is starting to come together nicely. Skimmer is doing its thing. I got my ATO setup and working, but need a reservoir badly. Only using a gallon pitcher and that only lasts me 2-4 days tops. I need something that's about 2-3G to let me go a week between full ups.

BTW anyone selling a reservoir of 2G or higher, please let me know. Will trade or buy.

Here is a current tank shot. Really love the cube tbh. It gives the rock scape depth.

IMG_6307.JPG.34416b68804148cdc0db2f72d35fdd85.JPG

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag addiction =) The little rhoductus was just so lonely, had to take him home. Went back today to another LFS and they had some nice zoos, pick up 2 frags and will see how they do. The orange look like creamsicles, not sure on the other. They are orange and green/yellow.
IMG_6329.JPG
IMG_6326.JPG
IMG_6314.JPG

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones on the right are called "Eagle Eyes" and I am not sure on the left side one now. I thought it was a creamsicle, but it may be too dark for that.

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6380.JPG
A new addition. Went to the store to get water for the hurricane and came home with another zoo frag haha. Yellow and pink. Great frags at my LFS. Opened right up after a 15 mins in my tank. Did a drip on it for 10-15mins and got the temp exactly the same. Also did a quick freshwater dip to remove anything. Happy to say the frag was totally clean of any parasites.

OP
OP
Dominat0r

Dominat0r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a new shot. Just got my mp10qd. Works great so far. I have removed my other power heads and using just the vortech. Right now it’s in NTM at about 55%. Really does stir up some stuff and keep the water clean.

3DDE672D-08C6-4D27-91F9-4EF769FE2CF6.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back