Done with controllers

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I’ve always had a controller- it started with a reef keeper, then apex, another “new” apex, and now hydros.

I’m done . So many connection/wifi/Bluetooth issues with all brands except for the RK. Also one point of failure makes me nervous.

Does anyone else run their reef without a controller? Kasa power strips and timers are where it’s at for me..

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i run my 40B with no controller other than my inkbird. everything else is on a timer, or always on. i detest the idea of controllers as i believe it adds more failure points or more things to have to maintenance.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my apex a few years ago because of the same issues you had. It was always disconnecting from the internet and the probes were always inaccurate even after calibrating. I only ever used it as a smart power strip anyway so I wasn't using many of the features.

I now use Kasa smart power strips and they work great. I have a dedicated PH and ORP probe from Milwaukee that are also working great.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
WiFi although I have some components is not always the best choice and can be intermittent at the wrong time

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be helpful to list equipment that does not require apps or web/Bluetooth connections to substitute for equipment that does:

Powerheads:
Tunze
Vortech
Koralia

Dosing pumps:
BRS dosing
Drew’s dosing pump (what I’m using currently)
Spectrapure liter meter

Lighting:
T5
Metal Halide

Heaters can use inkbird or ranco controllers.

Etc

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Kasa strips and a reef-pi for only pH monitoring. I really should get a controller, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. It's a lot of expense that is hard to justify when all my gear is Ecotech.

I echo the sentiment about 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi for a lot of these devices. I get it, they are low power, low bandwidth, and low cost, but I don't think a lot of folks have dual-band dedicated 2.4ghz and it ends up being flaky.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I’ve always had a controller- it started with a reef keeper, then apex, another “new” apex, and now hydros.

I’m done . So many connection/wifi/Bluetooth issues with all brands except for the RK. Also one point of failure makes me nervous.

Does anyone else run their reef without a controller? Kasa power strips and timers are where it’s at for me..
My beautiful wife Oxana controls everything I do!

1694028068840.png

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 98% sure the 5ghz issue is the only thing wrong with my hydros gear. Ridiculous.

$10 WiFi Kasa smart plug- zero problems connecting.

Multiple hundred dollar hydros.. essentially a brick

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many WiFi gadgets actually need to be connected to work once set up?
I only have an Inkbird, Red Sea lights and a Red Sea doser. All required WiFi for setting up and now only for notifications etc. but none of them stop functioning if the router throws a wobbly.

OP
OP
E.intheC

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many WiFi gadgets actually need to be connected to work once set up?
I only have an Inkbird, Red Sea lights and a Red Sea doser. All required WiFi for setting up and now only for notifications etc. but none of them stop functioning if the router throws a wobbly.Any time you make changes - for example I added a hydros control xs to the system.

I changed my Kessil a360x from one tank to another and needed to decrease PAR. Refused to connect at all.

I added a hydros control xs to my system. Complete disaster trying to add as a collective. Gave up and ran separately. Was able to get it working for one try out of… idk 50? Now I can’t access anything. It just won’t connect via WiFi. Bluetooth only connects to the xs. Not the x2.

Any time you want to look at current status (ie temp of the tank etc) it won’t work bc it won’t connect.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my Kessil a360x from one tank to another and needed to decrease PAR. Refused to connect at all.

I added a hydros control xs to my system. Complete disaster trying to add as a collective. Gave up and ran separately. Was able to get it working for one try out of… idk 50? Now I can’t access anything. It just won’t connect via WiFi. Bluetooth only connects to the xs. Not the x2.

Any time you want to look at current status (ie temp of the tank etc) it won’t work bc it won’t connect.
Fair enough. I get the never having to use WiFi at all thing is a plus versus potentially needing it just for set up.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
No controller or ATO for me. I use simple lamp timers (for mh and T5) and hardwired controller for LED (my display tankbutilizes all 3 light sources). I use a bubble magnus dosing pump to dose kalk overnight, which is also how I replenish evaporated water. My frag tank (~100g) runs the same way.

I've had too many controllers and ATOs fail in the past. IMO, they just aren't worth the risk. Granted, I have to be much more hands on with my tanks but I don't mind that. Here's a couple of pictures I just took with my phone of my 125.

IMG_20230906_153120.jpg

IMG_20230906_153126.jpg

IMG_20230906_153023.jpg

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No controller or ATO for me. I use simple lamp timers (for mh and T5) and hardwired controller for LED (my display tankbutilizes all 3 light sources). I use a bubble magnus dosing pump to dose kalk overnight, which is also how I replenish evaporated water. My frag tank (~100g) runs the same way.

I've had too many controllers and ATOs fail in the past. IMO, they just aren't worth the risk. Granted, I have to be much more hands on with my tanks but I don't mind that. Here's a couple of pictures I just took with my phone of my 125.

IMG_20230906_153120.jpg

IMG_20230906_153126.jpg

IMG_20230906_153023.jpg
Awesome. If you can be around your tank often, then there is no need to over-complicate anything.
I come from the same school of thought. But I have also been victim to it as well, by my own fault.

But on the latest tank I'm doing now, I'm controlling EVERYTHING and this is just because I want it to eliminate my own inconsistency/availability. As long as you keep your equipment clean and maintained when you ARE around, it's fine to go away for a few days which is the whole reason. Every time I've been forced to go away for a few days in the past without any control, the tank has suffered in some way and that sucks.

Great tank by the way.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am 98% sure the 5ghz issue is the only thing wrong with my hydros gear. Ridiculous.

$10 WiFi Kasa smart plug- zero problems connecting.

Multiple hundred dollar hydros.. essentially a brick

It's not the 5ghz. It is their crappy WiFi chips. I installed a dedicated 2.4ghz router specifically for Hydros to try and fix all my connection issues. Didn't work either.

Yet, my Apex sits in the exact same spot and has lost conenction one time ever and I can't prove if it was Apex or my router.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back