Dont blindly support your LFS!

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear "Support your LFS!" all the time. Not all LFS's are doing whats right for the fish, corals or you, sometimes not even one. Im lucky to live in socal and there are plenty of great LFS to support and I do. BUT, in many areas the only option is a place that should not be in business because of how they treat the animals and the advise they give.

Never blindly follow anything, especially advise on these boards lol

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear "Support your LFS!" all the time. Not all LFS's are doing whats right for the fish, corals or you, sometimes not even one. Im lucky to live in socal and there are plenty of great LFS to support and I do. BUT, in many areas the only option is a place that should not be in business because of how they treat the animals and the advise they give.

Your last line of your post is spot on!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like anything else... accept advise where given but employ some common sense. It's like those people that used to follow Google Maps navigation over a cliff.... just because something or someone tells you to turn left, it's still your choice to step on the gas.
thelma and louise GIF

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hear what your saying, and there is truth to it, but.....

Small brick and mortar stores struggle these days. I do not want to see them go the way of movie rental stores. So I'll support my overpriced lfs (which is a decent but not great lfs)

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear what your saying, and there is truth to it, but.....

Small brick and mortar stores struggle these days. I do not want to see them go the way of movie rental stores. So I'll support my overpriced lfs (which is a decent but not great lfs)
I didnt mean at all dont support the good ones. I try to as much as i can. Im saying dont support a ****** LFS just cause, other companies deserve that money. Im lucky, my LFS owner is my good buddy and is the best reef keeper i know. He will straight up not sell me stuff i want if he knows its a dumb decision. Haha

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats some good advice!
I heard Jake Adams say the worst part of covid for the Reef aquarium hobby is that EVERY LFS is killing it right now, even the ones who are not looking out for the animals or you. In the long run companies like that being in business has a negative impact on the hobby.

Check out "reefbum" on youtube. The kast 2 weeks he had Jake Adams on and yestersay he had Julian Sprung, two VERY informative podcasts. Jake and Julian didnt want to stop talking, i was a little bummed reefbum stopped the episode while they were still eager to teach!

heidisdad2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m in socal also. What are some of the good lfs in the area? My tank is close to being done with its cycle i think so will be getting fish soon.

thanks in advance.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 LFS in my area one stopped selling saltwater and the other upgraded to a massive building with all kinds of gear and livestock. But the people there are just trying to get your money they dont care at all about the livestock they house and almost seem to give bad advice just to sell more fish. Worst of all anything happens to a fish or coral you bought from them its your fault even if they sold a fish with ick or acro with worms. One fish 2 fish dartmouth anyone in canada they posted a website dont walk away run RUN

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My closest and favorite LFS is cheaper than online and extremely friendly. It's an exotic pet store with much more than just saltwater fish, they are friendly, helpful and always busy.

I support them as much as possible.

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 LFS in my area one stopped selling saltwater and the other upgraded to a massive building with all kinds of gear and livestock. But the people there are just trying to get your money they dont care at all about the livestock they house and almost seem to give bad advice just to sell more fish. Worst of all anything happens to a fish or coral you bought from them its your fault even if they sold a fish with ick or acro with worms. One fish 2 fish dartmouth anyone in canada they posted a website dont walk away run RUN
Isn’t that the one that the Ki mg of DIY goes to?

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in socal also. What are some of the good lfs in the area? My tank is close to being done with its cycle i think so will be getting fish soon.

thanks in advance.
Sorry, just saw this. Ali at Amazimg reefs and aquariums will help you get on the rifhr track. Listen to him and ignore everything you see on here and you are set! His store has been featured on reefbuilders a couple times. Tell him the "white devil" sent you and hell crack up. Lol its an inside joke Ali has become a good friend as he does with most his customers

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back