Votes: 4 0.7%

• Total voters

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally skimped on my wavemaker. I purchased Jaebos for the 100g. They move water well but we’re loud and eventually failed. Rushed to get new wavemakers before our corals are one another:). Won’t skimp on that again.

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it both ways. I've skimped on equipment and it end up costing more in the long run. I've also had it the other way. I've skipped on equipment and have had great success. Learned in the process, priceless.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimped on everything for the first 7-10 years. From my experience over 20+ years skimping almost always cost more in the long run. Cost is important sometimes we have no choice but to skimp. I still run cheap lighting over most of my tank. 7 cheap LED lights 1 good light over my sps section. I will say growth has been much better under the better lighting. Lighting has probably been the thing I skimmed on the most. I was lucky enough to pick up cheap lights that worked for everything except sps.

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've "skimped" on everything except time. I enjoy my Franken-tank, and much of the enjoyment comes from reading, researching, and tinkering to find used equipment or DIY solutions. If I added up the physical hours spent tinkering with the tank, it would be much cheaper to buy the name brand piece of plug and play equipment - but I wouldn't have as much fun.

SpikeWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimped on automating my dosing for years. I've gone full Neptune and DoS for the past 3 years and it's an entirely new tank. :)

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked ‘other’: why? Because I set up one tank with mainly German made Equipment And another with generic, as I had a suspicion it was all as good as each other despite the 4-fold price difference. Suffice to say, both tanks are now now running on the German equipment. You get what you pay for.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this can be dependent on your tank goals. At a minimum, never skimp on something that would waste the life of the animal you are caring for... reef forums might be another story(lol).

giphy.gif

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium you should not "SKIMP" on this?

Nothing wrong with skimping. I got equipment that was used in good condition. I have used T5, pumps and chemicals from those leaving the hobby. So far all my skimped items are backups to my new items. There are items you don't want to skimp on. For example a heater. It's not an expensive item but they tend to fail as they age. Now I won't buy a used tank in fear that it could fail. Don't want the risk.

2. What have you "skimped" on that has worked well for you?

T5
BRS Calcium
pump

RYcube2951

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By a quality salt mix and use RO/DI water from your local fish store. Or you can buy pre-made saltwater from a vendor like 2 little fishies but buying pre- made can be more expensive. The good news is the tank is small which will reduce the cost of these items.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimped on my power heads (hydor) but everything else is quality. Arguably flow is most important, I just can't justify buying something like an AI Nero

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimped on my power heads (hydor) but everything else is quality. Arguably flow is most important, I just can't justify buying something like an AI Nero
You didn't skimp, Hydor is perfectly fine and leaves you money to buy more livestock. Also, the hydor pump is more adjustable, direction wise, than the Nero

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a successful formula is to tell your spouse HALF the price of what you actually spent on stuff for this hobby.

If you get busted.... dent, deny, deny

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back