Votes: 4 0.7%

• Total voters

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't skimp on the tank. It's easy to swap out a skimmer or a reactor or a light. Realizing you have the wrong tank is a costly and more difficult problem to fix. Could be like mine where the tank wasn't reef ready, or it could be that your tank is too small for the fish you'd like to keep. This is the space where your fish and corals will live their lives and you will spend your time enjoying them and looking after them. I really feel that my biggest skimp was not getting the right tank for the job.

The skimp that did work? The Lowe's bucket mixing station! Fits neatly under a table in my laundry room, add a dolly, and a small pump, we're good to go for water changes!

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me don’t skimp buy what you need to do the job at hand. Now saving money by getting used or a diy option not skimping just stretching a dollar.

Ruskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if its considered skimping, but I ditched the skimmer in my new build for a DIY ATS and its working out great. I did it primarily for cost so maybe it does count? :cool:

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a US perspective, I buy budget-friendly, but reliable equipment, ie., RO 152 classic skimmer, Varios Return Pump, Icecap Gyre, Ocean Revive LED’s, all through EBay. Don’t think that would be considered skimping. Taking into consideration that I live in Japan, equipment here is ***** expensive, as in double price at least. Even with shipping, it was still cheaper. The only equipment I bought here is a macro algae reactor and that was $450. The one good thing is, fish is much cheaper here :)

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the term "skimping" somewhat entertaining. It makes it sound like not spending the maximum amount of money is being cheap. It would be interesting to rephrase the question and say: "What things am I willing to spend money on needlessly" and see the results. I see so much money wasted in this hobby and people justify it by saying they don't want to be cheap. Heck with that. Just call it what it is. It is a hobby and I want to splurge on myself. There is no shame in that. No need to justify or tell others they should "just spend more" for whatever 1 item is being discussed. For example: many people call buying a jebao pump (locally) skimping. However, I would call it "just right" people will say bad things about them, but ignore all the bad things that happen to the expensive pumps. I tried buying an expensive, very popular name brand pump and it was noisy. Returned it. Same with salt, lighting, food, whatever. I guess you could say I skimped spending $100 on my 75gal tank, stand, with 30 gallon sump. I had a great time repainting the stand, building it, redoing all the plumbing, pumps, filtering, lighting all "on a budget" with no issues along the way. Running for years. Totally silent, everyone that sees it says it is great. Yet by the "professionals" in the group I would have "skimped" on everything. For the "skimpers" out there, don't feel like you are skimping. Feel you are spending wisely.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimp out on fish. I keep as few fish as possible in my tank so my nutrients stay manageable and a can skimp out needing a bunch of BS apparatus to deal with nutrients. I do water changes when theres a solar eclipse so I skimp out on salt mix.

I skimp out on two part dosing because I buy baking soda from the grocery store and calcium chloride from wherever and skimp on buy pre made two part bottles that are mostly water.

I skimp out on lighting. I use black boxes or build my own and dont need an app on my phone to control what doesnt need to control. So I skimp out on firmware updates and other nonsense that has nothing to do with growing coral.

I keep my tanks covered with glass so I skimp out on ATOs and water bills.

I buy generic glass tanks and skimp out on boutique tanks that are over priced.

I dont skimp out on brain cells and common sense.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1. In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium you should not "SKIMP" on this?

Should not on anything vital such as heater, water return pump, lighting, circulation pumps and Test Kits !!

2. What have you "skimped" on that has worked well for you?

Buying used instead of new BUT BE CAREFUL. Know the use of the item and realize that many manufacturers will NOT warranty even a new product if youre NOT the original purchaser

I ALWAYS SAY - BUY THE BEST YOU CANNOT AFFORD. IT WILL PAY OFF IN THE LONG RUN

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tried using an undersized skimmer and that didn’t work. I buy the best products I can, and feed the best. These are our pets after all

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimpin' ain't easy.

This is the wrong hobby for people who want to save money

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found the one and only thing I can’t skimp on, is research.
Given enough research, I learn how to skimp on things like:
Non critical pumps (just require servicing and save $200 per power head)
Testing ( certain parameters TEND to trend together, if not just do a water change. Easy fix)
Controllers ( if my inkbird counts, I guess I have one...)
Etc, etc,.

Im my experience and opinion, knowledge and understanding are the only must.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to skimp on any critical piece of equipment. Tank, lights, pumps, etc should all be good quality or appropriate backups available.

I have skimped on my refugium light.... and now I own a Kessil. So yeah, it didn't really work out. In the end I'm happier with piece of mind using better gear.

Character85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SKIMPING COSTS YOU MONEY

I have numerous friends that jumped on the FOWLR bandwagon 15 yrs ago when I set up my first tank. My first tank was a 75 gallon with 45 gallon custom acrylic sump. I was saving for 2 yrs to make sure I could buy the best sump, pumps, skimmer, and lighting. Because I planned and saved for the best equipment, I contribute my success largely to it. 3 other friends jumped on the bandwagon soon after but had no plan and bought cheap/used equipment and 2 out of the 3 were huge failures. 1 had a used no name heater blow up and literally boil his tank. Another had bought a cheap used cracked Odysea balast with a taped up support arm. This eventually gave way and fell into his tank and started an apartment fire that melted his tank. The one success out of the three had originally bought a cheap pump that siezed on him while on vacation. Since he didnt have any powerheads, half his tank was dead after he got back. He since changed his wsys and still has a FOWLR at home. NEVER SKIMP ON EQUIPMENT OR MC-GUYVER THINGS IN THIS HOBBY. S#!^ HAPPENS. GOING THE CHEAP ROUTE ALWAYS COSTS YOU MORE MONEY IN THE LONG RUN.
20200715_150222.jpg
20200715_150213.jpg

20200715_150222.jpg

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having trying to acquire equipments for a newly built 300 gallon tank, my plan was to keep cost down as much as I could. The intention was and is to have a mixed reef tank. I quickly realize that keeping cost down for that size tank was not possible in this hobby. However, with that in mind and without doing research or knowing too much about lights, I saw a Current USA Orbit Marine DUAL PRO LED light fixture 72" (new) and loved the bells and whistles (different light settings via remote control) that it offered and the price was great compared to others. A year and half later, I am realizing that it does nothing for coral growth as they are growing like the flow of molasses. Now they have discontinued that model of which I am not surprised. Needless to say, I am now investing in a few Radion XR30 G5s. Looking for better coral growth. Interestingly enough, the Current (covering the whole tank) was half the price of one Radion (3 needed).

What is working for me on the skimpy is buying a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot which I use for my auto top-off container that is working great for me. I only need to refill once a week.

sullivansp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I typically try my best to avoid "skimping" but I sometimes find out after the fact that I accidentally skimped due to my ignorance . For example, when setting up my first sump I stopped by my LFS in search of a return pump. Left there about $100 lighter with a Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One 3000 and thinking I made out like a bandit.

I didn't realize I had skimped until shortly after when I had to buy a replacement... Ended up with a secondhand VarioS-2 and was mind-blown at the quietness, controllability, and durability. This experience reinforced my understanding of the importance of researching prospective equipment additions as well as bolstering my leeriness of skimping.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned pretty quickly being cheap in this hobby is not worth it. U end up spending more or it costing more in the long run. I’m speaking on equipment, testing instruments, testers, additives etc. idk if my lighting would be considered skimping I mean who doesn’t want a $800+ light for their tank but that’s way more than I could spend so went with a AI hydra 26 Hd for under $400.

nanoreefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this hobby so I am definitely not speaking from experience here. Anyways, I am coming to it on a budget which means that I will inevitably be skimping on some things, however, I think that it is important to prioritize what you can get away with skimping on and what you should not. For example, I chose to go with an AIO kit which had lower quality lights because to me that should not be much of an issue as I plan on only keeping softies.

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to skimp on corals online, but found I got corals with less color. I really think buying what you want/see instead of whats on sale is a good idea.

SixtyFeetUnder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent 15 years skimping. When I did my new build I bought all quality hardware and even quality salt (which I had skimped on for all those years). I won’t go back to skimping. This new build is a rock so far; supporting everything short of my sps colonies in the old tank happily within 3 months. All parameters in check and nitrates at 0 since month 2 when livestock was added. No more skimping as long as I can keep the wife away from doing forensic analysis on what my hardware costs were

B2E217CB-D6DB-42C3-BB2C-303BA9C965B7.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back