Dos awc questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not yet have an apex or a dos, but I need make a pull through the ceiling and want to include what I need for awc via dos.

New saltwater and drain is about 40 horizontal ft from dt. 8 ft up and back down. Do I use the dos tubing? I heard its soft and prone to kinking but that other tubing may not work properly? Also, I will need a saltwater low level sensor. I assume I need a breakout box at the tank and a cable/ wire pulled to the float switch in saltwater storage tank? What wire or cable would I need? Anything else I will need to be connected? I really hope I can get everything pulled at once, it will be a lot harder on subsequent pulls.

Also, I plan to include a hose for ro water to my ato container. I will manually control that from the storage end, but is there a simple way to have an indicator when ato is full? Apex text fast enough for that? Ideas welcomed...

I'm technology impaired, so simple responses requested lol.

Thanks so much, I'm pretty terrified of a controller so this is hard for me haha.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my ato reservoir is i think 40 feet from 1 tank only 10 from the other. I am using the Neptune atk i have 3. One for each tank and one thay controls my reservoir. Both of my atk pumps are in the resioir i had to have an extra module close to the reservoir because i think 15 foot is the max for Apex 24v runs. As far as the Dos tubing mine are short runs but i don't think it will kink too easy, but it will kink.I read somewhere that someone was using RODI hose for the Dos but had to heat it one the ends to get it in. Hope this helps some Good Luck

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR - You'll likely want three (3) 1/4" OD tubing (eg; RO tubing) and a single cat5 (or cat6) cable.

Two of the RO tubing will be for the AWC. It's quite possible to use the 1/4" tubing with a DOS with a small modification. You'll need four (4) 3/8" Female NPT x 1/4" Push-connect fittings. The end-caps on each side of the DOS head unscrew and these go on in their place (using a little thread tape doesn't hurt). That will allow you to use the RO tubing instead of the soft tubing. I would suggest getting two solid colors of tubing for this - not clear - in order to help prevent the tubing from getting fouled up from light. One of the lines will be the "old water out from DT" while the other is the "new water into DT". The source and drain lines that are also involved in the AWC setup would all be located near your saltwater storage and drain.

The final RO tubing would be for your ATO.

The Cat5/6 can be used to build a passive USB cable - which is really all an Aquabus cable is. For instructions on that, see this thread. Having this "Aquabus" cable going from one zone to the other will allow you to hook up modules on either end (such as a FMM).

Also, I plan to include a hose for ro water to my ato container. I will manually control that from the storage end, but is there a simple way to have an indicator when ato is full? Apex text fast enough for that? Ideas welcomed...
Yes; you can use a sensor to indicate when the level is high. I wouldn't try to locate the sensor right at the "full" point, but actually a little below. That should build in enough delay that you'll have time to see the value update. If you use the local view of the unit (rather than the Internet-based Fusion view), then you'll likely to see better (shorter) response times.
Though really, I'd not trust a sensor alone. I would suggest getting a float valve to put into your ATO container where the storage line enters the container. That way, once the container is full, it will automatically shut off the water flow.

OP
OP
G

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just the info I needed, thanks so much

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back