DOS pump location

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im completely new to Apex, trident, DOS systems... Out of hobby for 8 years and first time using controllers and automation. Looking for a little help.

Setting up my system (Reefer 900 - 240 gal.). My tank is up against a wall that backs to my laundry room. In that room I am using a cabinet for my ATO tank and will also locate my trident. Just a hole drilled through the wall for fluid lines, cables etc. I was wondering if I could locate my DOS canisters in that same cabinet yet locate my DOS pumps in my stand on a controller board Im building. So the canisters would be located approx 3' from the pump and the tank. Was just thinking it would be more accessible for filling etc. and not taking up space in my stand area used for the electronics and liked the idea of having the two pumps exposed on my controller board. Any problems with this?

Also using DOS for my auto water change. My mixing station is in my mechanical room 20' away. I would run a water line from my salt water tank down in my crawl space and to the DOS pump again in my stand. Then Id have a line to run the old salt water from the sump/DOS pump down into the crawl space to a saddle valve on a drain pipe.

Thoughts? I think ive read that the DOS canisters for ALK and Calcium should be right next to the DOS pumps but am not sure if thats a requirement or not. Appreciate any help/thoughts/advice.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily locate the DOS and/or reservoirs farther apart or distant from your tank. I have a DOS for auto water changes in my garage with my mixing station that's 30 feet from my aquarium in the living room, with 1/4" tubing and a long AquaBus cable running through the wall. The only drawback with having the long tubing is that it takes a while to initially prime the tubes, but once they're full of liquid they remain primed so the DOS pumping produces water at the other end immediately.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The distance won't be a problem. I also have my DOS located next to my mixing station which is about 80-90' from my tank. I didn't locate the DOS in my stand primarily due to the noise.

ctcarper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes agree distance won’t be a problem I have 4 DoS in my system and they are about 4 feet from my tank. You just need to make sure to prime the lines.

95AEA5F6-07AB-4707-9500-0BEF8289B058.jpeg

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok - thanks for the replies. So I can put my DOS pumps in my stand and put my canisters further away without problem - only issue is that the pump would need to be primed and the length of line would need hold that extra fluid.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everyone. Your only issue is that you have more fluid in your lines than if they are close but for all your fluids that should not be an issue. I have a DOS located about 40’ away from one of my tanks doing AWCs and calculated that I only hold about 130 ml of NSW in the input line. I did this as I don’t run AWC continuously, instead every 6 weeks I run one over 24 hours, so the fluid sits in the lines between the AWCs. 130 ml in a 500 litre system is negligible, so not an issue.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back