Doser 2.1 sticking rollers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the GHl 2.1 doser about 7-8 months ago to replace my BRS 1.8 dosers. In the last 4 weeks my CA locked, found it a couple days later. Opened the cap, looked ok, replaced the cap and away it went. Now I came home from a 2 day trip. My ph began dropping and I found the alk roller was locked up. By the look of the reservoir probably for a day and a half. Took the cover off, pushed down on the rollers and replaced the cap. Again worked after that. I’m getting real nervous about this doser and considering going back to the cheap BRS doser. They never let me down in 3 years. Now I had 2 issues in less than a year. Any tips other than replacing the rollers and caps every few months. I wish the device would notify you when stuck.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rollers and head replacements are relatively cheap, but contact ghl directly through email or their forum and they will get you sorted out. I'm not sure why some of these dosers have heads/rollers that seem to be more trouble prone than others? I agree it would be nice if it notified you if there was a doser head sticking, the problem is I don't think it's possible. The doser just thinks it's dosing no matter what. I keep an eye on fluid levels in my containers and also manually hit the buttons occasionally just to ensure there is no issue. I have 2 of the 2.1 dosers. One had an issue at the beginning, which ghl sorted for me. The other has had no issues for almost a year?

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to replace all 4 heads is about $35 so every 6 months would be $70. Relatively speaking it’s not expensive but I would not expect to have to replace these twice a year for an expensive device. Plus I think if I’m replacing the rollers I should also replace the tubing at the same time. I emailed customer service, was hoping someone on the GHL reef2reef forum may have some experience and/or advice to keep this from happenening when I travel. Is it just me or does this happen with a majority of folks?

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sign of abnormal wear or friction on the old caps ?

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any sign of wear. The rollers do look a little crooked before I removed the cover. I did just get an email from GHL support. They say I should be pulling apart and cleaning every couple months in water or vinegar. I dose 240 mls per day of AF 123 and they also suggested I change to the highest speed.

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current cal at speed one is 8.2 mls per min so my current hourly dose is less than 2 min/hour.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read you need to keep the tubing and the rollers lubed. I use both the maxi and 2 and 2.1. Try taking a tiny bit of petroleum jelly and using it on the outside of the tubing and on the rollers themselves.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d also keep a spare head assembly on hand to swap out when you’re servicing them.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read you need to keep the tubing and the rollers lubed. I use both the maxi and 2 and 2.1. Try taking a tiny bit of petroleum jelly and using it on the outside of the tubing and on the rollers themselves.

Wouldn't this cause them to slip? Don't see how the "drive shaft" would grip the rollers if they had lubrication?

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know the BRS 1.8 doser tubing comes with a light lube on them and suggestion re lubing anytime they are serviced. GHL does not suggest lubing them in the instructions and the customer service rep said just to clean off the rollers, nothing about lubing. Would like to hear from GHL if to lube and what to use. Anyone else regularly lube their GHl doser?

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did hear back from GHl, they said do not lube the outside of the rollers or tubing. Said you can put a small amount of petroleum on the posts that the rollers roll on.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did hear back from GHl, they said do not lube the outside of the rollers or tubing. Said you can put a small amount of petroleum on the posts that the rollers roll on.

Appreciate you following up here with that! Did they get you sorted out with the sticking head? Or at least started to hopefully a fix?

It's almost like the rollers or caps or something on some of these are slightly out of spec? Once they are replaced they seem to do fine.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue last year, reaplaced heads and it quietened briefly, then the same issue reappeared, and then the motors started making noise too. I was only dosing 50ml per day and the unit was only 6-7 months old: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/squeaky-ghl-doser-2-1.304255/

My thread has direct responses from Matthias Gross. There were apparently issues with the manufacturing of the blue caps and rollers. But even the replacement rollers squeaked after a while. I found the monthly maintenance and prospective cost of replacing heads on a premium doser to be too much for me, so I bit the bullet and converted to a calcium reactor instead.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue last year, reaplaced heads and it quietened briefly, then the same issue reappeared, and then the motors started making noise too. I was only dosing 50ml per day and the unit was only 6-7 months old: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/squeaky-ghl-doser-2-1.304255/

My thread has direct responses from Matthias Gross. There were apparently issues with the manufacturing of the blue caps and rollers. But even the replacement rollers squeaked after a while. I found the monthly maintenance and prospective cost of replacing heads on a premium doser to be too much for me, so I bit the bullet and converted to a calcium reactor instead.

It's just strange, I've had one for over a year that does all my daily dosing and I've never touched it, never heard a peep out of it. It looks brand new on all the rollers and head caps. Then my other one I had one month and had the issue with the one head making noise then sticking. It seems to be fixed now, but just strange how the small tolerance differences seem to make that big of a difference. I don't plan on replacing any rollers or capa unless they stop working. Well maybe after several years, but not every 6 months or year.

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really didn’t send new rollers, just suggested I run at a higher speed and clean the rollers as often as needed. They felt with my use I would need to replace every 9 months or so. And to grease the post if I wanted.

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they continue to stop dosing I may look to replace down the road. I would expect no issues after 6-8 month. 2 issues is too much in that young of a unit.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back