Dosing Containers

dvybiral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Okay folks I have the Apex system and the DOS , I am at the point where I need a dosing container and I would buy the Neptune DDR, but with all the poor reviews I don't feel comfortable. I bought a container called Simplicity at Marine Depot, but it sucks air in the tubing even after purging many times. I don't think it is the DOS causing the air bubbles so I need ideas on a different container, or is it the DOS or is it the operator or the container? Thanks Reefers.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Okay folks I have the Apex system and the DOS , I am at the point where I need a dosing container and I would buy the Neptune DDR, but with all the poor reviews I don't feel comfortable. I bought a container called Simplicity at Marine Depot, but it sucks air in the tubing even after purging many times. I don't think it is the DOS causing the air bubbles so I need ideas on a different container, or is it the DOS or is it the operator or the container? Thanks Reefers.

So a container in itself would not cause the bubbles. It has to be at one of the fittings. Correct that, and you wont get bubbles anymore :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air bubbles seem to be a common theme with the DOS and it's usually the fittings that connect the DOS tubing to the tubing to the containers. Theres a thread kicking around about how to fix it I'll have to dig it up

OP
OP
dvybiral

dvybiral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a container in itself would not cause the bubbles. It has to be at one of the fittings. Correct that, and you wont get bubbles anymore :)
Thanks, I have checked fittings many times maybe its the fittings on the DOS I will check

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air bubbles seem to be a common theme with the DOS and it's usually the fittings that connect the DOS tubing to the tubing to the containers. Theres a thread kicking around about how to fix it I'll have to dig it up

I think it was either to upgrade to those John guest connectors, or just undo the fittings and add some silicone grease when reconnecting?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an Apex owner or know anything about DOS, so I might be totally off base.....I'm old school BRS pumps. What I ended up using are cereal containers from WalMart. What I like about them is that they have a wide opening, making additions of more Alk and Calc very easy.

Dosing Pumps and Containers.jpg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an Apex owner or know anything about DOS, so I might be totally off base.....I'm old school BRS pumps. What I ended up using are cereal containers from WalMart. What I like about them is that they have a wide opening, making additions of more Alk and Calc very easy.

Dosing Pumps and Containers.jpg

Though if the OP's issue is a bad fitting on his reservoir, that wouldn't be fixed by changing dosers

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do the bubbles start? Are their bubbles before then doser? If they are coming from the container they would show up in the intake line of the dos. I have the simplicity container as well and mines been great. I use the silicone tubing from simplicity along with it so maybe that helps?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a snapshot from another thread and the link to the fitting I mentioned....

Screenshot_20191001-075057_Samsung Internet.jpg

I will add, make sure it is indeed the connection at the DOS causing the issue. Double check your other fittings as well first. :)

OP
OP
dvybiral

dvybiral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do the bubbles start? Are their bubbles before then doser? If they are coming from the container they would show up in the intake line of the dos. I have the simplicity container as well and mines been great. I use the silicone tubing from simplicity along with it so maybe that helps?

I am just using the DOS tubing that came with the unit, maybe I need to order the Simplicity tubing.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not unusual to get some air right after the output end of a peristaltic pump if the tube end is not submerged. If you actually are sucking air on the input side then there’s a ‘hole’ somewhere. There aren’t a lot of places to look. Could be either end of the gray connector, or the input tubing itself.

I bought the 1/8” NPT to 1/4”
John guest adapters (they thread right into the gray connector on the DOS), but have not put them on yet.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are parts that will require replacement, though the task you assign to the DOS will dictate frequency. I use mine for AWC, which is harder on the mechanicals than dosing. I replace the peri tubing about every six months. I have spare roller heads, but almost two years in and the originals show no signs of excessive wear.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problems with bubbles in my setup ( Jebao DP4). I swapped the plastic bottles that I was using for the VOSS glass bottles and DIY'd them with John Guest fittings and replaced the silicone tubing with RODI tubing... no more bubbles.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back