Dosing for SPS

Do you test and dose Iron or Potassium for your SPS tank?

• No, let water changes take care of it.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Yes, and Alk, Mag and Calcium too as needed.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I didn't and had color lost, but started dosing K and color much better now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS have color but not popping as much as what I see in other tanks for for sale.

So I'm trying to see what I am missing...

My parameters are consistently in this range:
Alk 9-10
Calcium 445-500
Mag 1400
Phosphate .05 - .09
Nitrate 5-10
pH 7.75-7.9

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color is very complicated. It can be the lightning, the nutrition, trace elements. Zeovit systems actually dose bacteria that limits
zooxanthella growth which gives SPS a pastel kinda color. You‘re pH is pretty low and phosphates seem a little high depending on the type of SPS. I drip kalk to raise my pH. Macro algae can rob trace elements that zooxathella use to grow well, Brightwell chaetogrow does a great job of putting those back into the tank. Also always keep in mind that a lot of photos are tweaked to look more impressive than they really appear.

Last edited:

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 is fine for sps no matter what kind in my experience. I get more vibrant colors with higher po4. When I dip into the .02-.04 colors pale and fade out. .07-.1 is sweet spot for my system colors are deep and vibrant. pH is fine, lower pH can just slow growth a bit.

How old is the tank?
How old are the frags?
How's the consistency with the big 3, alk cal mag? (Be honest lol) 9-10 alk swing is large. My alk swings are .01-.04 max per trident and Hanna.
Also keep in mind the corals you are seeing for sale are edited and filtered and pictures are taking under extreme blues.

Do you have pictures?

OP
OP
K

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 is fine for sps no matter what kind in my experience. I get more vibrant colors with higher po4. When I dip into the .02-.04 colors pale and fade out. .07-.1 is sweet spot for my system colors are deep and vibrant. pH is fine, lower pH can just slow growth a bit.

How old is the tank?
How old are the frags?
How's the consistency with the big 3, alk cal mag? (Be honest lol) 9-10 alk swing is large. My alk swings are .01-.04 max per trident and Hanna.
Also keep in mind the corals you are seeing for sale are edited and filtered and pictures are taking under extreme blues.

Do you have pictures?
My Alk swing is due to Kalk in ATO. Some days it tops off more than others, thus the swing. I'm trying to dial it in though.

Tank is 3 yrs now.
Frags are 6 months.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lk swing is due to Kalk in ATO. Some days it tops off more than others, thus the swing. I'm trying to dial it in though.

Tank is 3 yrs now.
Frags are 6 months.
if you have an apex you can set it up to turn off the ATO if your pH rises too much.

I have mine set to turn off if my pH goes above 8.3 or if my salinity drops below 1.023

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk swing is due to Kalk in ATO. Some days it tops off more than others, thus the swing. I'm trying to dial it in though.

Tank is 3 yrs now.
Frags are 6 months.

I've never had a good experience with kalk, some folks are better using it than I am. Give me 2 part and a doser, is all I need. Then you don't have to worry about ATO shutting off, just seems like more to monitor. Frags are still young I have found 6-8 months on average is when an acro settles in, some quicker than others. I'd work on keeping alk stable and give it a month or so for results.

What's your lighting like?

OP
OP
K

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a good experience with kalk, some folks are better using it than I am. Give me 2 part and a doser, is all I need. Then you don't have to worry about ATO shutting off, just seems like more to monitor. Frags are still young I have found 6-8 months on average is when an acro settles in, some quicker than others. I'd work on keeping alk stable and give it a month or so for results.

What's your lighting like?
Thx. Lighting is XR15s G5 Blue

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back