OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good, it's definitely keeping velvet under control, however still experimenting on how much H2O2 do I need to dose to eradicate it, I up the dose to 60ml/12hours to give it a better chance, no ill effects on corals so far. Will update with pics in the weekend.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at veterinarians or farm supply stores for meds?
Both are good options in the US, not sure about Canada.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not able to set up a big enough tank for all the fish in the DT, and maintain it for 3 month.

You don't need a "tank" for quarantine. A clean, watertight Rubbermaid trash can or storage bin works just as good as is cheaper and more portable. 21-30 days is the standard copper treatment for velvet.

All the fish currently eating like a pig, and hippo tang is no longer scratching.

As others have mentioned, protists have complicated reproduction cycles that make treating in a display tank with inverts nearly impossible. The fish may be looking fine right now because you've killed the adults in the water column, but they will continue to come back. Increased appetite may be compensatory for the physiological toll of fighting off an active parasitic infection.

I was already prepared for the risk of a sudden wipe out since last year when I find out I was not able to buy any velvet meds in Canada.

It looks like you have a beautiful display tank. It seems a shame to jeopardize it by not going fallow in your display and moving all the fish to quarantine. You most certainly do have access to meds for velvet in Canada, here are a few: Copper Power, CopperSafe, Copper Aid. I'm sure if you made a separate post actual Canadians could provide you with even more sources.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a "tank" for quarantine. A clean, watertight Rubbermaid trash can or storage bin works just as good as is cheaper and more portable. 21-30 days is the standard copper treatment for velvet.

As others have mentioned, protists have complicated reproduction cycles that make treating in a display tank with inverts nearly impossible. The fish may be looking fine right now because you've killed the adults in the water column, but they will continue to come back. Increased appetite may be compensatory for the physiological toll of fighting off an active parasitic infection.

It looks like you have a beautiful display tank. It seems a shame to jeopardize it by not going fallow in your display and moving all the fish to quarantine. You most certainly do have access to meds for velvet in Canada, here are a few: Copper Power, CopperSafe, Copper Aid. I'm sure if you made a separate post actual Canadians could provide you with even more sources.
Thank you so much for providing so many informations, I will definitely look into the trash can quarantine method, just need to find a good filtration for it. I will make a new post for seeking med for velvet in Canada.

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped dosing h2o2 Feb 2nd, my urchin looks miserable and fishes are fine for a while. So far i have been dosing for a month, would like to see whats gonna happen if i totally stopped dosing.

pics from today.
Urchin starts to recover.

MVIMG_20200207_154233.jpg MVIMG_20200207_154142.jpg

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed something.....did u decide to dose your display reef tank directly w/ Copper Power for 30 days and the invertebrates survived? Fish too? Thx for clarifying as many I’m sure really want to know....

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed something.....did u decide to dose your display reef tank directly w/ Copper Power for 30 days and the invertebrates survived? Fish too? Thx for clarifying as many I’m sure really want to know....
I was dosing 3% H2O2 directly into the display tank.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do the "Black Molly Test" to see if in fact the velvet parasites are gone. Just have a home for the molly when the test is over.

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 days, day 3 pics were the worst.
I’m dosing h2o2 from Saturday that means 4 days so far and some of my fishes don’t have dot anymore but most of them still have it on their and it still cover eyes. They eating normal, just jas white dot cover its body. Dosing 1ml per 1 gal

Willis19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Display tank: 150G custom tank + 50G sump. started from August 2019. Some of the rock was from the old 15G nano started from July 2018.

QT tank: 20G long, established after the velvet outbreak for holding fish purchased from the boxing day sale... However more like an observation tank.

Some background: first sign of velvet discovered in DT around Nov 2019, after adding a ruby red dragonet (died two days after introduced), then one anthias started to show signs of velvet, and died the next day, another anthias followed, and a swallow tail angel, and a convict goby, a clown goby, a hippo tang died in next few days. What's left were one clownfish, one convict goby, one anthias that had obvious signs of velvet and survived, and a orange shoulder tang and a diamond goby that never got infected.

Then no fish were introduced to DT for about one month, no dead in DT during that month.

Since I am in Canada, I am not able to buy any effective medicine to treat velvet. So I am kind of giving up and hope for the miracle......

Then I added a bicolor blenny No signs of velvet.

And I purchased a Kole tang and put it in the newly established QT for observation.(At this time, I was trying to pick up the habit of QT), added to DT two weeks later without signs of velvet.

Then purchased two small tangs (hippo and purple) during the boxing day sale and put them in QT. Keep in mind that I was still using the DT water for QT, which means QT still has velvet.

Three weeks later both tangs in QT showed signs of velvet. And realized that I was still dealing with velvet.

Then I found some one using H2O2 treating velvet with success. So I purchased a bottle of 3% H2O2 from Walmart.

However, I got the dosage wrong for the first couple days in the QT. I was dosing 240ml/day of H2O2 in QT(20G), 120ml in the morning and 120ml in the evening, the sign of the white dust was reduced, but the color of the tangs were pale, thats the time I realized that I was dosing too much, then I reduced the dosage to 120ml / day, white dust was gone but color was still pale. Then I reduced to 80ml /day for next 5 days and all the signs were gone. Then I put them to the DT since I feed a lot in DT, hoping they could recover better.(I was not feeding much in QT because of the bio load)

Meanwhile I was also dosing DT 60ml/day. No signs of native effective on corals, however some copepods died right after the dosage.

Two days of them being in the DT, you guessed, signs of velvet showed up, but with my doubt, the signs looked like Ick as well(you guys can help identify in the following pics). But I kept dosing H2O2 in DT but with 90ml/day, 45ml in the morning, 45ml in the evening.

The pic were from the time both tangs showed signs of velvet or Ick.

Day 1 of them showing signs:
Also the time I started to dose 90ml/day.

IMG_20200119_210533.jpg IMG_20200119_210559.jpg IMG_20200119_210656.jpg IMG_20200119_210703.jpg IMG_20200119_210710.jpg
Unfortunately, I am dealing with the same - no copper treatments since I am in Canada/Kingston, heading to Florida next month I might bring some copper stuff. I will try tomorrow the H2O2 dose on my 5 g QT, did you find a right dose of H2O2 / gallon ? Currently I'm using kordon rapid cure ( first day 2020-2-28) after 3 days of noticing the white dots.

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Base on humble fish, 1ml for 10gal in reef, 1ml per 5gal fish only. But start from 1:10 fisrt and increase dose after few days. You should dose every 12 hours. Don’t ever dose 1ml per 1 gal because it will kill your invert. It happen to me. I’m dealing with velvet too

Willis19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Base on humble fish, 1ml for 10gal in reef, 1ml per 5gal fish only. But start from 1:10 fisrt and increase dose after few days. You should dose every 12 hours. Don’t ever dose 1ml per 1 gal because it will kill your invert. It happen to me. I’m dealing with velvet too
Thanks, what about water changes? active carbon filter changes? my QT has only a bag of active carbon, i will add some biorings or so. the QT do not have any invertebrates

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, what about water changes? active carbon filter changes? my QT has only a bag of active carbon, i will add some biorings or so. the QT do not have any invertebrates
Use carbon to remove toxic oxyde, i don’t change my water and I’m runnjng on dr not qt like your

Last edited:

kungfujoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Im curious to see the results. I had all the fish in my display die except 1 and he’s been solid for 2 weeks without spots. There’s no way I can take him out if my dt unless I remove all my rocks.

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Im curious to see the results. I had all the fish in my display die except 1 and he’s been solid for 2 weeks without spots. There’s no way I can take him out if my dt unless I remove all my rocks.
H2o2 only combat velvet early stage, if all your fishes die it mean you are at the last stage which you need to pull all your fishes out which same as me. H2o2 can not help you if your fish start dying. That too late. Good luck. My fishes recovery from velvet outbreak after treating 30 days copper. Waiting to finish fallow and put them back

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back