Dosing in a future 20 gal reef

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A siphon break helps mostly with reverse flow in our applications... If he's already got a pump sending water down to a sump, there's no way to install a siphon break...
Using pvc tubing to supply the flow of water from the display to the sump, drill the relief hole where you want the siphon to break. Once the water level in the display decreases and reaches the relief hole, air will be drawn in and the siphon breaks. In normal operation, a small stream of water exits the relief but remains silent as it is under water.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using pvc tubing to supply the flow of water from the display to the sump, drill the relief hole where you want the siphon to break. Once the water level in the display decreases and reaches the relief hole, air will be drawn in and the siphon breaks. In normal operation, a small stream of water exits the relief but remains silent as it is under water.
Good point. It's way past my bedtime, lol.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t get that, but what if I use a marina hang on back breeder box as a fuge for pods and inverts that are too dangerous to keep in the display and have some chaeto and lr

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter anyway, because two identical pumps don't pump water up and down at the same rate. Because one is fighting head pressure, while the other is being assisted by gravity.

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wait you don’t get it, I meant taking 2 pumps like the one in this photo and using tubing to direct water down to the sump and up. It will have a hob, heater and a refugium with live rock,Chaeto,crabs,shrimp, and a snail.

DF79C8F4-BFF6-4AE0-B402-77184A01CA82.jpeg
It is next to impossible to achieve. These pumps are too small to begin with. Secondly, they will not pump at the same rate. It is almost like you are trying to do everything the hardest and least cost effective way possible. Get and All-in-One, or an All-in-One insert for a standard aquarium.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wait you don’t get it, I meant taking 2 pumps like the one in this photo and using tubing to direct water down to the sump and up. It will have a hob, heater and a refugium with live rock,Chaeto,crabs,shrimp, and a snail.

DF79C8F4-BFF6-4AE0-B402-77184A01CA82.jpeg

I get it. It dont work. Thats just the reality. You have to have drilled or a siphon. If you spend a lot of time and effort you can make it worth with multiple pumps... until one starts going slower and it floods. Or until one pump fails and it floods. The end result if you rely on an exact pump flow to avoid a flood.... is that you will end up with a flood.

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it. It dont work. Thats just the reality. You have to have drilled or a siphon. If you spend a lot of time and effort you can make it worth with multiple pumps... until one starts going slower and it floods. Or until one pump fails and it floods. The end result if you rely on an exact pump flow to avoid a flood.... is that you will end up with a flood.
agreed. No two pumps flow at the exact same rate. Even 0.001% difference is by definition, unbalanced and will lead to one of the two tanks flooding....with cosmic certainty. In fact, if you wanted to make a fool-proof flood machine that works every time, that is how one should do it. Just sayin'...

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I was thinking about diying an aio system. It will have 2 baffles, 3 chambers. The first one holds 2 filter socks and some chemipure, second holds chaeto and a heater, final is a return pump

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something similar to this? I'm sure you can build one a lot cheaper :)

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea but with more compartments like (it’s 18 inch wide)-
a refugium with Chaeto, pods, a shrimp
a media basket and filter sock
a heater
return chamber
any others that I might need or will make my life easier?
will be dosing phyto btw

Back