Dosing Location in Sump?

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump has basically 3 chambers, over flow, skimmer and return. I'm currently dosing in the return chamber but curious if that's the right place to dose? Can I dose into the overflow as there's lots of waterflow there but will the skimmer remove my dose?

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ideal to dose in the return, there's not a ton of movement and it could precipitate on the pump parts. Would recommend dosing in the overflow or skimmer chamber.

In my case, my overflow is my skimmer chamber, so I do it there.

OP
OP
P

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ideal to dose in the return, there's not a ton of movement and it could precipitate on the pump parts. Would recommend dosing in the overflow or skimmer chamber.

In my case, my overflow is my skimmer chamber, so I do it there.

Thank you. I was also thinking dosing into the return wasn't the best idea. So the skimmer won't affect the dosing right?
If not, I will just dose into the overflow with the most waterflow :)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose into my first chamber (overflow) but that is only because it's the section closest to my dosing pumps. I've never noticed an issue with the skimmer. I also don't see an issue with dosing into the return section. After all it's flowing the same gph as the overflow.

If you are concerned with precipitation on the return pump why wouldnt it be the same issue with the skimmer pump?

OP
OP
P

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose into my first chamber (overflow) but that is only because it's the section closest to my dosing pumps. I've never noticed an issue with the skimmer. I also don't see an issue with dosing into the return section. After all it's flowing the same gph as the overflow.

If you are concerned with precipitation on the return pump why wouldnt it be the same issue with the skimmer pump?

Thank you! I will move it to the 1st chamber :)

I don't think precipitation would be an issue for his situation because the overflow should have more water movement?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I was also thinking dosing into the return wasn't the best idea. So the skimmer won't affect the dosing right?
If not, I will just dose into the overflow with the most waterflow :)
what are you dosing? the skimmer should have no effective on 2 part or other additive.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dosing lines are right in front of the return pump intake. Been doing it that way for years. Alk and Cal dose 30 minutes apart from each other so precipitation is not a thing. That said, I don't think it really matters where you dose.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I will move it to the 1st chamber :)

I don't think precipitation would be an issue for his situation because the overflow should have more water movement?
I personally would just leave it in the return chamber. Other than adding flow from the skimmer the return chamber has to have the same amount of flow as the overflow section. All the water that flows into the overflow has to go into/out of the return section at the same rate.

OP
OP
P

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you dosing? the skimmer should have no effective on 2 part or other additive.

My dosing lines are right in front of the return pump intake. Been doing it that way for years. Alk and Cal dose 30 minutes apart from each other so precipitation is not a thing.

I'm dosing tropic marin all for reef for right now

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump has basically 3 chambers, over flow, skimmer and return. I'm currently dosing in the return chamber but curious if that's the right place to dose? Can I dose into the overflow as there's lots of waterflow there but will the skimmer remove my dose?
I would not worry about the skimmer removing what you have added to the system.

I also think the flow rates through a sump should be the same through all the chambers, unless you intentionally make it otherwise.

My primary consideration was to locate the dosing after the probes.

I have my probes in the overflow section and found it easier to route the dosing into the return chamber instead of the skimmer chamber. I dose both alk and calcium and have had zero precipitation. I have not measured the flow through my system but I would roughly estimate it at somewhere between 750 and 1000 gph.

OP
OP
P

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would just leave it in the return chamber. Other than adding flow from the skimmer the return chamber has to have the same amount of flow as the overflow section. All the water that flows into the overflow has to go into/out of the return section at the same rate.

In theory yes but I think my overflow has more waterflow, or at least water turbulence as I don't have a ball valve on that line so water falls down, full speed...if that makes sense?
With all that water turbulence, I think the dose would mix better?

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My logic for not dosing in the return is because there's no more forced flow to another chamber there. The water 'sits' until the pump sucks it up. Probably a non-issue, but I like the idea of moving water in the previous chambers that 'must' go to the return section.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you y'all, I'm new to dosing and water testing so sorry for any noob responses from me :)
No apologies - great question and as you see from the responses, there are different methodologies. The secret to this hobby is to find the method that works best for your reef.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My logic for not dosing in the return is because there's no more forced flow to another chamber there. The water 'sits' until the pump sucks it up. Probably a non-issue, but I like the idea of moving water in the previous chambers that 'must' go to the return section.
Here is an easy test...put some alkalinity solution (or something that will slightly cloud the water) into a dropper. Drop some in each chamber and watch how it dissipates. That will answer your question about differences in flows between chambers.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return chamber should not be a problem with all for reef, in my opinion and I also keep a small powerhead in the return chamber to keep the corners cleaner - and water moving

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back