Dosing newbie

gregrock68

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2024
Messages
420
Reaction score
343
Location
Haymarket
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking for some guidance on dosing. I have am in the process of setting up my 40 gallon AIO and anticipate building and growing a heavy sps and LPS tank. In 6 months to a year I imagine the consumption of the typicals, calcium, strontium, mag etc will increase. For those of you with dosing experience, do you think a dosing pump would be advisable? I know water changes will help, but I am thinking that a dosing pump will be needed to keep up with the consumables balanced. Assuming so, what dosing pump do you recommend? Seems like these pumps are hit and miss on performance and reliability

Thx in advance for the advice
 
I like the new Red Sea 4 head doing pump and app. Have not had any issues so far. Anyway, if you wanted, you could start with just dosing kalkwasswer (which can be dosed multiple ways) and see if that works for your alk/calc consumption, but if you go really stick-heavy you will likely need to do 2-part (which can be done alone or in addition to kalk). In terms of timing, start by calculating your consumption, and see if WCs keep up. If they don't keep up at some point, move to kalk and/or 2-part.
 
I used GHL stand alone for a long time with no problems. Then moved to GHL controller. You will likely not need one for a while if you are just starting the tank.
 
Looking for some guidance on dosing. I have am in the process of setting up my 40 gallon AIO and anticipate building and growing a heavy sps and LPS tank. In 6 months to a year I imagine the consumption of the typicals, calcium, strontium, mag etc will increase. For those of you with dosing experience, do you think a dosing pump would be advisable? I know water changes will help, but I am thinking that a dosing pump will be needed to keep up with the consumables balanced. Assuming so, what dosing pump do you recommend? Seems like these pumps are hit and miss on performance and reliability

Thx in advance for the advice
You can manually dose for a long Time on a new system.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new